5,000 suspected dengue cases reported in PakistanSeptember 14th, 2011 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 14 (IANS) About 5,000 suspected cases of dengue fever have been reported from across Pakistan, Punjab’s capital Lahore alone reporting over 4,000 of these cases.
The government of Pakistan’s Punjab province Wednesday said it is struggling to control dengue, which health officials suspect is assuming epidemic proportions with nearly 5,000 cases, Xinhua reported.
Punjab’s Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif told a news conference that his government has ordered urgent import of 150 machines from Germany, latest technology from Britain and medicines from India to tackle dengue outbreak.
A Sri Lankan medical team with medicines and equipment has arrived to help the government of Punjab to fight the dengue epidemic.
In Lahore, doctors said three more people died in the city Wednesday, taking the toll from dengue to 17 in the last two months.
A hospital chief in Lahore said nearly 800 people visited his hospital Wednesday for the dengue virus test, and 10 to 15 percent of them tested positive.
In Islamabad, at least 40 confirmed cases of dengue have been reported.
In Sindh province, a total of 211 cases have been confirmed so far.
Three deaths and 25 suspected cases have also been confirmed in northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province where several hundreds have been put under surveillance, said provincial health officials.
- Dengue alarm: Pakistan asks for Indian drugs - Sep 13, 2011
- Lahore dengue toll reaches 110 - Oct 01, 2011
- Four dead, 2,000 affected by dengue in Pakistan - Oct 23, 2010
- Dengue toll reaches 29 in Pakistan's Punjab province - Sep 16, 2011
- 10 dead, over 2,000 hit by dengue in Pakistan - Sep 09, 2011
- Lahore dengue toll rises to 106 (Lead) - Sep 27, 2011
- Pakistan government to use Facebook for dengue awareness in Punjab - Oct 08, 2011
- Dengue fever grips Pakistani province - Sep 04, 2011
- Dengue toll rises to 77 in Lahore - Sep 24, 2011
- Pakistan dengue cases reach almost 9,800 (Lead) - Sep 25, 2011
- 14 more die of dengue in Pakistan - Oct 08, 2011
- Over 5,000 dengue cases in Lahore - Sep 17, 2011
- Pakistan needs coordination mechanism for epidemics: Gilani - Sep 20, 2011
- Pakistan wants dengue drug from India - Oct 28, 2011
- Pakistan to get insecticide from India to fight dengue - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: chief minister, confirmed cases, dengue virus, epidemic proportions, government of pakistan, government of punjab, health officials, khyber, last two months, latest technology, medical team, news conference, outbreak, pakistan islamabad, provincial health, punjab province, shahbaz sharif, sri lankan, virus test, xinhua