50 kids found chained in Pakistan seminary dungeonDecember 13th, 2011 - 12:15 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 13 (IANS) More than 50 children were found chained inside an underground dungeon at a seminary in Pakistan’s Karachi city, a media report said Tuesday.
Police rescued the children from the seminary in Sohrab Goth area, reported Geo News.
All the children were found chained during the police raid.
A TV grab showed two children displaying the chain to which they were bound.
Sources said the children were kept at underground dungeon.
Gadap, a police official, said majority of the children belong to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
Last year, Interior Minister Rehman Malik had said that seminaries “belonging to a particular school of thought” were promoting militancy in the country.
“We have more than 20,000 seminaries providing religious education to the students in the country and are making an effort to register all of these with the relevant authorities,” Malik had said.
The seminaries in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province are alleged to have been promoting militancy in the syllabi and the government has raided many such institutions. Taliban chief Mullah Umar is also believed to have been trained in the seminary of Moulana Sami-ul-Haq in Akora Khattak near Peshawar.
- Some seminaries promoting militancy in Pakistan: Rehman Malik - Nov 25, 2010
- Pakistani poet's mausoleum blown up - May 10, 2012
- `Kids rescued from Pakistan seminary scarred for life' - Dec 14, 2011
- Two TTP terrorists, would-be teen suicide bomber, arrested in Karachi - Oct 26, 2010
- No negotiations with Taliban: Rehman Malik - Jan 14, 2012
- Six kids among 26 killed in Pakistan attacks (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Suicide blast in Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa - Jan 12, 2011
- Militants blow up school in Pakistan - Jan 21, 2012
- Pakistanis protest against US drone strikes - Apr 24, 2011
- Pak forces nab 85 terror suspects in raids across Khyber Pakhtunkhwa - Jul 10, 2010
- 10 militants among 15 killed in Pakistan clash (Lead) - Sep 18, 2011
- Pakistani forces regain control of Upper Dir areas - Jun 05, 2011
- Militants kill three policemen in Pakistan - Feb 02, 2012
- UN medical team attacked in Pakistan - Jul 17, 2012
- Pak provincial minister says suicide bombers being sold like commodities - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: geo news, grab, interior minister, karachi city, khattak, mullah, pakistan, police official, police raid, rehman malik, relevant authorities, religious education, school of thought, seminaries, seminary, syllabi, taliban, ul haq, umar, underground dungeon