480 women killed, 195 raped in Karachi in 2008January 7th, 2009 - 6:08 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, Jan 7 (ANI): More than 1,885 incidents of violence against women took place in Karachi in which more than 480 women had been killed.
The report prepared by the Aurat Foundation said that over 279 women were murdered and more than 284 people including 80 men killed on the pretext of karo-kari, or honour killing, and attempts were made on the lives of 45 others.
The report says that 62 women were gang-raped, 86 raped; sexual assault was committed against 47 females and 157 suffered custodial violence and 414 others were abducted.
It says that 146 women committed suicide while 32 others tried to commit suicide, the Dawn reported.
Domestic violence was committed against 112 women, 135 others were hurt or received injuries, 12 women were burnt and acid was thrown at three others and 16 women were trafficked.
It says that of the 1,885 incidents, 354 occurred during the fourth quarter of the year in which 58 women were murdered and 51 others were eliminated on the pretext of honour killing, while attempt was also made on the life of 21 others. Some 38 women committed suicide and 34 others tried to kill themselves.
The report says that eight women were gang-raped, 15 were raped and 43 others were abducted.
It says that 23 women were hurt, custodial violence was committed against 20 women while nine faced domestic violence and five were trafficked, besides many others who faced various kinds of violence.
The report points out that most of the honour killings occurred in rural areas while a majority of murders were reported in urban areas. Weapons used included guns, batons, ropes, knives, bricks, iron rods, and poison. (ANI)
- Alarming increase in incidents of honour killings: Pak rights organization - Jan 05, 2011
- Report highlights shocking extent of violent crimes against women in Pak - Feb 02, 2010
- Over 1,700 killed in Karachi in 2012: Report - Sep 10, 2012
- Nearly 1,200 women killed in Pakistan in 2010: Report - Nov 26, 2010
- 1,000 Pakistani women killed for honour in 2011 - Mar 23, 2012
- Pakistan to provide security, assistance to Mukhtaran Mai - Apr 22, 2011
- Rapes assuming epidemic proportions in Pak's Sindh province - Jan 21, 2011
- UP suspends four officials after violence - Jun 26, 2012
- Widow 'gang-raped' by train robbers in Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
- Violence against women rises in Pakistan - Jan 15, 2012
- Rapist leaves scar on woman's chastity: Court - Sep 02, 2012
- Honour killings, dowry deaths still abundant in Pak: Report - Mar 08, 2010
- 7,571 incidents of violence against Pak women reported in 2008 - Aug 13, 2009
- 8,500 Pakistani women victims of violence in 2011 - Feb 14, 2012
- Nepal sees growing custodial torture of women - Jun 26, 2011
Tags: abducted, aurat foundation, bricks, domestic violence, fourth quarter, honour killing, honour killings, iron rods, jan 7, karachi, karo kari, kinds of violence, knives, murders, pretext, ropes, rural areas, sexual assault, urban areas, violence against women