44 LTTE rebels, one ICRC worker killed in Sri LankaMay 13th, 2009 - 5:39 pm ICT by ANI
Colombo, May 13 (ANI): At least 44 LTTE rebels and one International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) worker are reported to have been killed during fresh clashes between the Sri Lanka Army and the Tamil Tigers.
Two divisions of the Sri Lankan Army continue to advance into rebel territory, even as predictions are being made that the LTTE leadership and cadres could be nabbed in the next 36 hours.
The ICRC said that their worker was a Sri Lankan working as a water technician, and he was killed along with his mother.
The dead man is the third ICRC employee to be killed in the zone in recent weeks. The ICRC has more than 20 employees there.
There are also unconfirmed reports that a hospital in the fighting zone has been hit by shelling, with more than a dozen deaths.
Two Divisions of Lankan forces advancing on the trapped LTTE fighters captured a vital causeway which could help them in organizing another break out attempt for an estimated 50,000 people still trapped in the battle zone.
Carrying out “search and clear operations”, security forces recovered bodies of 44 LTTE fighters and a huge cache of arms and ammunitions in Kariyamullavaikkal, the army said.
Army beat back a ferocious sea-borne suicide attack by Sea Tigers in which three fast moving boats attempted to hit troop positions on the shore. (ANI)
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Credible allegations of war crimes in Sri Lanka war: UN report - Apr 26, 2011
- 70 LTTE rebels killed - May 17, 2009
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Sri Lanka releases 100 LTTE rebels held in military-run camps - Dec 26, 2010
- 49 Tamil Tigers killed in Sri Lanka (Lead) - May 09, 2009
- Withdraw army from Sri Lanka's northeast, says TULF (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- 23 Sea Tigers killed as Sri Lankan Navy foils suicide attack (Lead) - May 01, 2009
- Human rights body protests atrocities on Lankan Tamils - Apr 05, 2012
- 500 civilians killed in Sri Lanka fighting, rebels say - Feb 05, 2009
- Red Cross evacuates 240 wounded civilians from LTTE-held areas - Feb 10, 2009
- Lankan Army says it is closing in on LTTE chief Prabhakaran - Apr 23, 2009
- Sri Lankans protest Prabhakaran video - Mar 13, 2012
- LTTE chief Prabhakaran dead, claims Lankan army - May 17, 2009
- My life is under threat: Sri Lankan ex-army chief - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: ammunitions, battle zone, causeway, clashes, cross icrc, dead man, dozen deaths, international committee of the red cross, ltte fighters, ltte leadership, ltte rebels, operations security, rebel territory, sea tigers, sri lanka army, sri lanka colombo, sri lankan army, suicide attack, tamil tigers, troop positions