43 illegal Bangladeshi immigrants detained in ManipurAugust 30th, 2012 - 10:39 pm ICT by IANS
Imphal, Aug 30 (IANS) Manipur Police Thursday detained 43 illegal Bangladeshi immigrants while over 300 other suspects were rounded up during a combing operation, police said.
Police conducted a combing operation in Thoubal and Imphal East districts following intelligence inputs about movement of militants in the two districts.
Three vehicles suspected to ferry the illegal Bangladeshi immigrants have been seized by the Manipur Police commandos.
“Some of the 43 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and children, have stayed in Manipur for a decade while some had just arrived in the past few weeks,” a police official said.
The verification process of the 300 others suspected illegal immigrants is on at camp of the 2nd Manipur Rifles, the official added.
Police said the Bangladeshi nationals were residing in Muslim-dominated areas at Lilong and Hatta.
Following pressure from civil society groups, the Manipur assembly July 13 adopted a resolution urging the central government to extend the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation, 1873, to the state to check the influx of suspected Bangladeshi and Myanmarese nationals.
However, the union home ministry declined to do so.
- Manipur continues to crackdown on illegal immigrants - Aug 31, 2012
- 49 illegal immigrants arrested in Manipur - Aug 31, 2012
- Manipur pushes back 60 suspected Bangladeshis - Sep 02, 2012
- Meghalaya groups want check on illegal immigrants - Aug 22, 2012
- Meghalaya organisations demand permit system for visitors - Sep 03, 2012
- 12 more Myanmarese held in Tripura - Mar 08, 2012
- 31 Myanmar nationals held in Tripura - Dec 17, 2011
- Two security personnel injured in Imphal blast - Sep 05, 2012
- 30 Myanmarese, Bangladeshis caught in Tripura - Dec 02, 2011
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Blame illegal immigrants for northeast tensions: Gadkari - Aug 24, 2012
- Myanmarese nationals get jail for entering India illegally - Mar 24, 2012
- Four suspected militants arrested in Manipur - Feb 20, 2011
- Nothing impossible if one is determined: CBSE topper - May 29, 2012
- Fear in Manipur after outsiders told to quite state - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: bengal, central government, civil society groups, decade, eastern frontier, illegal immigrants, imphal, influx, intelligence, militants, muslim, nationals, police commandos, police official, rifles, union home ministry