4000-year-old ancestral tombs discovered in ChinaJune 23rd, 2008 - 1:08 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 23 (ANI): Archaeologists have discovered five 4000-year-old ancestral tombs with skulls and human remains, as well as pottery and animal bodies, from Shanghai city in China.
The ancient remains were uncovered from the northwestern corner of an archeological site in the citys Songjiang District.
The tombstones faced in different directions which is not the tradition of Liangzhu Culture, a Neolithic jade culture in the Yangtze River Delta, according to a report in the Shanghai Daily.
A road with its surface paved with pieces of pottery stretched northwest to southeast at the western part of the archeological site showing obvious signs of human activity, it added.
According to Song Jian, head of the archaeology department of the citys cultural relic watchdog, houses there were found built on stakes or with strong walls.
Holes found in the ground may have had different functions and some might have been used as barns, he added.
Remnants of 4000-year-old buildings were also found to the north of the site beside a lake.
Experts have dug out large quantities of ancient remains belonging to the Neolithic period or the later Zhou, Han, Song and Yuan dynasties at the site, which was first uncovered in 1958 in Songjiangs Guangfulin Village.
Tracks of migrants from central Chinas Henan Province were found at the site, which demonstrated the merging of the civilizations of Chinas Yellow River and Yangtze River civilizations.
The archeological site is expected to become a cultural park before the 2010 World Expo, according to Songjiang government. (ANI)
- Farmers grew rice in China's Yangtze Basin 4,000 years ago - Sep 18, 2009
- Earliest Chinese civilization found - Jan 18, 2010
- Over 100 ancient tombs found in Chinese town - Jun 27, 2011
- China began cultivating millet 10,000 years ago - Oct 16, 2011
- Ancient kiln replica being built in China - Jun 10, 2012
- Ancient human remains found in Sardinia - Oct 11, 2011
- 5,000 yr old jade vessels discovered in Chinese tomb - Jun 13, 2009
- 23 suffer burns in China plant blast - Dec 18, 2011
- Beer made 9000 years back in China recreated - Jul 21, 2010
- Rains likely to hit China's food bowl - May 28, 2012
- Traces of ancient civilisation found in Chinese desert - Oct 18, 2011
- Temple discovery reveals Indian Buddhism's spread to China - May 08, 2012
- 100,000-yr-old fossilized teeth of cavemen found in Central China - Nov 27, 2010
- Ancient Persian cairn wall found in Iran - Aug 29, 2011
- China's earliest wine unearthed in tomb - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: animal bodies, archaeologists, archaeology department, chinas, citys, civilizations, henan province, lake experts, neolithic period, northwestern corner, old buildings, relic, shanghai city, song jian, tombstones, world expo, yangtze river, yangtze river delta, yellow river, yuan dynasties