4000 militants in Swat, operation to continue till logical conclusion: Pak ArmyMay 8th, 2009 - 9:53 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, May 8 (ANI): Pakistan Army’s spokesperson Major General Athar Abbas has said that an all-out offensive has been launched in Swat to flush out anti-state elements and terrorists from the restive valley.
In a press briefing here on Friday, Major General Abbas said that the army had been tasked to eliminate the terrorists from Swat.
He said the armed forces will take the operation to its logical conclusion, The News reported.
The military spokesman said the ground intelligence estimates indicate the presence of about 4000 militants in Swat.
Abbas said the security forces have taken control of Khwaza Khela and Chamkanai areas. “Five security personnel were martyred while five militants were killed in the operation”, he said.
At least 13 policemen were killed in a militant ambush on Matta police station. Twenty militants were killed in Takhtaband and Kabal areas.
The security forces have also killed 15 militants including two commanders in Maidan. Major General Abbas said that six militants were killed during operation in Buner and Kalpani while two others were arrested.
He said nearly 143 militants have been killed in last 24 hours. Athar said the army also destroyed many militants’ hideouts and training facilities.
He said approximately 64000 internally displaced persons (IDPs) have so far got themselves registered with the government. (ANI)
- Pakistan deploys army to stop cross-border attacks - Oct 19, 2011
- Twenty-nine militants killed in Swat - May 26, 2009
- Pak security forces kill seven militants in Swat - Apr 11, 2011
- ISPR rejects HRCP's 'mass grave' allegations - Aug 19, 2009
- Pak Army kills 751 militants, loses 29 soldiers in Swat - May 12, 2009
- Pakistani military vows to crush Taliban (Lead) - May 08, 2009
- Pak Army kills 16 militants in Swat - May 19, 2009
- 30 militants killed in Pakistan air strike (Lead) - May 23, 2010
- Ousted Taliban targeting civilians to make way back: Pak Army - Jul 10, 2010
- 44 Taliban insurgents killed as Pak forces continue offensive in Upper Orakzai - Jun 07, 2010
- Swat offensive incomplete till top Taliban commanders killed: ISPR - Jun 07, 2009
- With three killings in 10 days Taliban haunts Swat Valley again - Apr 30, 2010
- Pak Army kills 17 extremists in last 24 hours - Jun 06, 2009
- Flood relief efforts force Pakistan Army to alter plans against terrorists - Sep 14, 2010
- Pak Army claims Swat, Buner cleared of Taliban militants - Jul 08, 2009
Tags: abbas, ambush, athar, buner, hideouts, islamabad, kabal, khela, logical conclusion, militants, military spokesman, pak army, pakistan army, police station, policemen, security forces, security personnel, spokesperson, state elements, swat