400-strong Sikh jatha to visit Pakistan for BaisakhiApril 10th, 2009 - 10:49 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, April 10 (IANS) Over 400 Sikhs and other pilgrims will cross over to Pakistan Saturday from the Attari-Wagah border check-post between India and Pakistan to participate in Baisakhi celebrations (April 13) there.
The Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC), which sends the jatha (group) has not officially sent it this time.
“The visas have been cleared by the Pakistan high commission. The pilgrims will be going at their own risk since security in Pakistan is a matter of concern,” SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar said here Friday.
He said though the Pakistani authorities have assured them of security, the SGPC was not taking chances.
The SGPC had recently asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to take up the security issue of visiting jathas with the Pakistani government.
- Sikhs appeal to Pak to ease visa norms for pilgrims - Mar 03, 2011
- Avtar Singh Makkar re-elected SGPC chief - Nov 16, 2010
- SGPC unlikely to send pilgrims to Pakistan on Baisakhi - Apr 05, 2009
- SGPC installs Golden Temple replica at Wagah border - Mar 20, 2010
- SGPC sends first Sikh jatha to Bangladesh - Nov 29, 2010
- Sikh group leaves for Pakistan to mark Baisakhi with relatives - Apr 11, 2010
- SGPC protests against turban frisking at international airports - Mar 25, 2011
- Obama security team visits Amritsar (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
- Sweets and greetings exchanged at Attari border - Aug 15, 2011
- Pakistan Rangers offer BSF sweets on I-Day - Aug 14, 2011
- Visiting Sikh delegation to cut short its religious trip to Pakistan - Oct 11, 2009
- Sikh community offers final prayers for two Sikhs beheaded in Pakistan - Feb 27, 2010
- Avoid Pakistan, government tells pilgrims (Lead) - Oct 27, 2009
- SGPC seeks security for Pakistan-bound pilgrims - Mar 04, 2009
- 'Save Bhullar' campaign picking up in Punjab - Jun 22, 2011
Tags: amritsar, attari, avtar singh, baisakhi, celebrations, india and pakistan, makkar, manmohan, manmohan singh, pakistan high commission, pakistani authorities, pakistani government, pilgrims, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, security issue, sgpc, sikhs, taking chances, visas