40 Pakistanis to walk on fire to prove their innocenceJune 6th, 2009 - 2:37 pm ICT by ANI
Quetta (Pakistan), June 6 (ANI): Tribal chiefs in Pakistan’s Dera Bugti district have told 40 people that they will have to walk on burning coal to prove their innocence.
According to the Daily Times, the newly-elected chief of the Bugti tribe, Mir Aali Bugti has decided to give a ‘trial by fire’ to 40 people allegedly involved in various criminal cases.
The exercise has not been held for the last two years due to the absence of a tribal chief.
Last month, the Bugtis elected Aali as their new chief in a grand jirga to replace his slain grandfather Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti.
Mir Aali has announced that he will continue the old tribal custom to provide justice to his fellow tribesmen.
On Thursday, two Bugti tribesmen - Wadera Ali Muhammad and Wadera Badal Khan - walked on burning coal in a grand ceremony in the Sui police station area.
They had been charged with subversive activities in Dera Bugti district.
According to Cherbali, if an accused walks on the fire and is unhurt, he is declared innocent. If his feet show burn marks, however, he would undergo further punishment. (ANI)
- Pakistan court seeks Musharraf for Bugti killing - Nov 01, 2011
- Huge Pakistan rally demands halt to US drone strikes - Oct 28, 2011
- `No new cantonments in Balochistan as people don't want it' - Apr 19, 2011
- No new cantonments in Balochistan, says Kayani (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Nawaz sees conspiracies in Pakistan apex court's defiance - Mar 25, 2012
- A Pakistani minister owns almost a town! - Mar 22, 2012
- Akbar Bugti was a leader having national approach: PML-Q - Aug 26, 2009
- Munter participates in Pashtun tribal jirga in Quetta - Apr 30, 2011
- Pakistani school teacher gunned down in Quetta (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Baloch rebel chief Brahmdagh Bugti seeks political asylum in Switzerland - Feb 02, 2011
- India responsible for unrest in Balochistan: Musharraf - Nov 26, 2010
- Akbar Bugti's son files petition for murder case against Musharraf - Aug 26, 2009
- Pakistan's ex-brigadier ready to testify against Musharraf - Oct 09, 2010
- Pak ATC transfers Shahzain Bugti's case to sessions court - Jan 01, 2011
- Strike over attack on family of Pakistan politician - Feb 04, 2012
Tags: absence, akbar khan bugti, ali muhammad, badal khan, coal, dera bugti, exercise, fellow tribesmen, grand ceremony, innocence, jirga, pakistan, pakistanis, police station, subversive activities, trial by fire, tribal chiefs, tribal custom, tribe, walks