29 killed in Myanmar state riot: OfficialJune 14th, 2012 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
Yangon, June 14 (IANS) At least 29 people have been killed and 38 injured in riots in Myanmar’s Rakhine state since June 8, the government said Thursday.
Those killed comprise 13 Rakhinese and 16 Muslims and the injured are 16 Rakhinese and 22 Muslims, Xinhua quoted Rakhine State Security and Border Affairs Minister Colonel Htein Lin and Law Officer U Hla Thein as saying in a press conference.
The press conference was the first ever given by the local government since a state of emergency was declared in the state and curfew imposed.
Myanmar declared a state of emergency in Rakhine on the night of June 10 after curfew was announced one after another in areas of Maungtaw, Buthidaung, Sittway, Thandwe, Kyaukphyu and Yanbye.
Over 2,500 residential houses across the state were destroyed in incidents of arson. Nine monasteries, seven mosques and one school were also among those burned down.
The officials, however, claimed that the situation in riot-hit western Rakhine state had now turned calm.
They said the people had started rebuilding their destroyed houses and some shops and banks in the downtown areas of Sittway reopened Thursday, though markets and schools remained closed.
A total of 37 refugee camps have been opened in the state housing about 32,000 victims so far.
- Curfew imposed in Myanmar's Rakhine state - Jun 10, 2012
- State of emergency in Myanmar state - Jun 11, 2012
- UN chief hails Myanmar panel to probe violence - Aug 18, 2012
- 13 more die in fresh Myanmar violence - Aug 12, 2012
- China backs Myanmar peace efforts - Jun 12, 2012
- Myanmar landslide kills 56 - Jun 18, 2010
- 170,000 affected by cyclone in Myanmar: UN - Nov 01, 2010
- UN aid workers detained in Myanmar - Jul 07, 2012
- Myanmar president postpones Bangladesh visit - Jul 02, 2012
- 46 killed in landslide in Myanmar - Jun 17, 2010
- Myanmar media hails white elephant as auguring prosperity - Sep 25, 2010
- Pakistan concerned over Muslim deaths in Myanmar - Aug 07, 2012
- At least 78 killed in western Myanmar clashes - UN - Jul 29, 2012
- Indian Navy chief meets Myanmar president - Aug 26, 2011
- Myanmar president to visit Bangladesh - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: affairs minister, arson, border affairs, colonel, hla, htein lin, june 14, local government, monasteries, mosques, muslims, rakhine state, refugee camps, residential houses, riot, riots, state of emergency, state security, thein, xinhua