278 NWFP families refuse to take `un-Islamic anti-polio dropsJanuary 26th, 2009 - 1:11 pm ICT by ANI
Peshawar (NWFP, Pakistan), Jan.26 (ANI): At least 278 families in the North West Frontier Provinces (NWFP) Upper Dir district have refused to let their children be given anti-polio medicine, describing the drops as ”un-Islamic”.
They have accused the district and health authorities of spearheading a campaign to vaccinate children against the disease as a conspiracy.
The Dawn quoted health officials as saying that parents in Tarpatar, Dir town, Chukiatan, Ganori, Wari, Jabbar, Almas, Bibyawar and Nihagdara did not allow teams to vaccinate children against the crippling disease.
They said that 23 parents in Dir town, six in Chukiatan, 12 in Darora and two in Nihagdara refused to avail the facility.
The officials said that because of the parents refusal, the drive had to be extended in the region for two days, covering 44 families. During the drive, 94,240 children were given drops, a majority of them (72,898) of ages between 12 and 59 months. (ANI)
- Two held in Pakistan for refusing polio drops - Sep 21, 2011
- Families refuse polio drops in Bihar - Sep 21, 2011
- Another round of pulse polio campaign launched in Delhi - Mar 26, 2011
- Pakistani province launches polio campaign - Jan 30, 2012
- Over 16,000 Pakistani kids not given polio drops - Aug 04, 2011
- A million Pakistani kids to get anti-polio drops - Jul 16, 2012
- New polio cases in Pakistan alarms WHO - Jun 10, 2012
- Over five lakh Pakistani kids to get polio drops - Nov 04, 2010
- Dalai Lama inaugurates polio vaccination drive - Jan 10, 2010
- In Uttar Pradesh bylanes, children help fight polio - Feb 03, 2011
- 40 children down with fever after taking polio drops in Aurangabad - Nov 22, 2010
- Bill Gates discusses polio, other health related issues in Pakistan with Zardari - Apr 07, 2011
- President Patil launches 2011 'Pulse Polio' campaign - Jan 22, 2011
- Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit launches new round of campaign to eliminate polio - Nov 13, 2010
- Over 17 crore kids get polio vaccine - Feb 19, 2012