27 NATO oil tankers torched in PakistanOctober 1st, 2010 - 1:20 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 1 (IANS) More than 27 oil tankers carrying supplies for NATO troops in Afghanistan were burnt Friday when some attackers fired rockets at the vehicles parked at a fuel station in southern Pakistan, Geo News reported.
NATO sources told media, the ambush took place around 2 a.m. near Shikarpur Super Highway where over 30 fuel tankers were parked at a fuel station. Two civilians were also injured in the attack.
The miscreants unleashed rocket assault, which raged fierce fire in consequence, while the blazes engulfed 27 tankers laden with highly inflammable fuel, witnesses said, adding that three other vehicles parked nearby also caught fire.
“Shikarpur police have placed stern cordon around the district,” Saeed Ahmed, district coordination officer, said. Nearly 15-20 men were behind the attack, he added.
He said supply tankers, en route to Afghanistan, were staying at a gas station for filling fuel as the ambush occurred.
“Fire tenders have arrived on the site and rescue efforts have got underway,” he told media.
The ambush took place a day after Pakistan blocked a vital supply route for NATO oil tankers to Afghanistan through its border.
Security officials Thursday ordered the forces at Torkham border to block oil tankers and trucks at a checkpoint sharing border with Afghanistan, hours after a coalition force helicopter attacked a Pakistani border post, killing three soldiers.
- 27 NATO fuel tankers torched at Shikarpur day after ISAF air strike on Pak soldiers - Oct 01, 2010
- NATO tanker blast kills 15 in Pakistan - May 21, 2011
- 35 NATO oil tankers torched in Pakistan (Lead) - Oct 06, 2010
- 20 NATO supply trucks torched in Quetta in fresh attack following air strike standoff - Oct 06, 2010
- Pakistan customs detains 152 NATO supply vehicles - Oct 06, 2010
- One killed in NATO oil tanker attack in Pak's Balochistan province - Feb 01, 2011
- Attack on NATO trucks: New group claims responsibility - Oct 08, 2010
- Pakistan blocks NATO supply to Afghanistan after airstrikes (Lead) - Sep 30, 2010
- 20 NATO tankers torched in Pak's Balochistan province - Jan 15, 2011
- 29 NATO Tankers Destroyed In Terrorist Attack - Oct 09, 2010
- One killed in NATO tanker attack in Pak's Balochistan province - Feb 03, 2011
- Pakistan has permanently stopped NATO supply: Minister - Nov 28, 2011
- Another 26 NATO tankers burnt in Nowshera in Pak following air strike standoff - Oct 07, 2010
- NATO oil tankers destroyed by militants in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2010
- 30 NATO oil tankers torched in Pakistan (Lead) - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: 20 men, border post, border security, coalition force, district coordination, fire tenders, fuel station, fuel tankers, geo news, miscreants, nato sources, nato troops in afghanistan, oil tankers, other vehicles, pakistan islamabad, pakistani border, rescue efforts, southern pakistan, three soldiers, troops in afghanistan