27 killed as `schoolboy’ bomber attacks Pakistan Army centre (Third Lead)February 10th, 2011 - 3:55 pm ICT by IANS
Peshawar, Feb 10 (IANS) At least 27 cadets were killed and 40 were injured Thursday in a suicide blast carried out by a teenager disguised as a schoolboy at a military training centre in northwest Pakistan, said officials.The suicide attack targeted the Punjab Regiment Center in Mardan in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, said police official Zeeshan Haider.
Mardan is about 50 km northeast of Peshawar.
“The blast was carried out by a teenaged boy who entered the premises in a school uniform and blew himself up,” said a security official.
“The cadets were going through their routine exercise at that time in the Punjab Regiment Center of Pakistan Army,” the official said.
The injured and the dead were taken to Combined Military Hospital (CMH). The training center has been targeted by militants twice during the last couple of years but Thursday’s blast was the deadliest.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Minister Bashir Bilour visited the blast site and said: “Our province has become a war zone and we request the federal government as well as the global powers to pay immediate attention to the burning situation.”
Banned militant outfit Tehreek-i-Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack. Taliban have also been masterminding most deadly terrorist attacks in Pakistan’s urban areas and against security forces earlier as well.
The province and northwestern tribal areas, bordering Afghanistan, have become a battleground ever since the country’s security forces launched a crackdown against Taliban and Al-Qaeda militants in 2007.
All those killed and injured were army men, DPA quoted Muhammad Adil, the top civilian administrator in Mardan, as saying.
A Pakistani military spokesman, Major General Athar Abbas, said this week that 2,700 troops and 300 intelligence agents have been killed in such attacks since 2003.
- 27 die as `schoolboy' bomber targets Pakistan Army centre (Second Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Twenty killed, forty injured in Mardan Cantonment suicide blast - Feb 10, 2011
- UN chief condemns suicide bombing in Pakistan - Feb 11, 2011
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa will continue fighting against terrorism: Bashir Bilour - Jan 31, 2011
- 14 killed as suicide bomber targets Pakistan Army centre (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- `It's terrifying bomber was 14-year-old in school uniform' - Feb 11, 2011
- More blasts in Pakistan, three killed (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Suicide blast in Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa - Jan 12, 2011
- Four killed in Peshawar suicide blast (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- 20 killed in Peshawar bombing - Mar 09, 2011
- Five militants killed in Pakistan - Jul 20, 2010
- 13 killed in blast at Peshawar funeral (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- 20 killed in blast outside Pakistan police station (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Senior cop killed in Taliban suicide attack in Pakistan (Lead) - Aug 05, 2010
- 76 die in Pakistan bombings - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: al qaeda militants, army men, athar, bashir, civilian administrator, global powers, intelligence agents, mardan, military hospital, military spokesman, pakistan army, police official, punjab regiment, routine exercise, school uniform, schoolboy, security official, suicide attack, teenaged boy, tribal areas