27 kg heroin seized near India-Pakistan borderOctober 6th, 2011 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar/New Delhi, Oct 6 (IANS) The Border Security Force (BSF) seized 27 kg heroin, valued at Rs.135 crore in the international market, near the India-Pakistan border in Punjab Thursday.
Facing fire from smugglers early morning at Rajatal in Amritsar, troops fired 10 rounds in self defence but the criminals managed to flee towards Pakistan territory, taking advantage of proximity to the international border, according to the BSF.
The troops later recovered the narcotics contained in bags.
BSF officials said this is one of the biggest contraband seizures in a single day during the last decade.
In another incident in Ferozpur in Punjab, a special ‘naka’ (border post) by the BSF led to recovery of a Chinese-make pistol and 20 rounds of ammunition.
Keeping in mind the vulnerability of the border areas where standing crops provide a natural cover to the smugglers, the BSF field units had enhanced their vigil.
The security force Tuesday recovered over 15 kg heroin in Amritsar along the international border.
- BSF recovers 23 kg heroin from Punjab border - Feb 04, 2012
- BSF kills three smugglers on Indo-Pak border in Punjab - Mar 29, 2012
- Sharp hike in heroin smuggling across Punjab border - Aug 21, 2012
- Three smugglers held with drugs, fake currency in Amritsar - Jul 04, 2012
- BSF kills intruder in Punjab, 17 kg heroin seized - Jan 18, 2012
- Sukhbir Badal asks centre to check drug smuggling - Sep 03, 2012
- BSF seizes 12 kg of heroin on Punjab border - Apr 24, 2012
- 15 kg heroin found near India-Pakistan border - Oct 04, 2011
- BSF recovers heroin, fake currency from Pakistan border - Dec 01, 2011
- No one cures Punjab's drug problem (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 10, 2012
- BSF kills Pakistani, finds heroin - Feb 23, 2012
- BSF seizes 15 kg heroin at India-Pakistan border - Feb 25, 2010
- Smuggler arrested with 14 kg heroin in Punjab - Jan 11, 2011
- Heroin worth millions seized in Punjab - Mar 19, 2010
- Pakistani 'smuggler' killed in Punjab border district - Jan 05, 2010
Tags: border areas, border post, border security force, bsf, crore, heroin, india pakistan, international border, last decade, naka, narcotics, pakistan border, pakistan territory, punjab, seizures, self defence, single day, smugglers, standing crops, vigil