27 die as `schoolboy’ bomber targets Pakistan Army centre (Second Lead)February 10th, 2011 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
Peshawar, Feb 10 (IANS) Twenty-seven soldiers were killed and 40 injured Thursday when a teenaged suicide bomber, disguised as a schoolboy, blew himself up at a Pakistan Army training centre in northwest Pakistan, authorities said.The suicide attack targeted a military parade at Punjab regiment centre in Mardan in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, said police official Zeeshan Haider.
Mardan is about 50 km northeast of Peshawar.
Express Tribune reported the suicide bomber is believed to be a 14-year-old boy who was wearing a school uniform.
Two military officials in Peshawar said that the blast took place at a military parade.
All those killed and injured were army men, DPA quoted Muhammad Adil, the top civilian administrator in Mardan, as saying.
Abdul Samad Khan, a senior police official, said the bomber managed to sneak into the otherwise heavily guarded training centre wearing a school uniform as a disguise.
The Taliban have targeted Pakistani soldiers in the past in retaliation for security actions against their bases in the tribal region along the Afghan border.
A Pakistani military spokesman, Major General Athar Abbas, said this week that 2,700 troops and 300 intelligence agents have been killed in such attacks since 2003.
- 27 killed as `schoolboy' bomber attacks Pakistan Army centre (Third Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- UN chief condemns suicide bombing in Pakistan - Feb 11, 2011
- Five militants killed in Pakistan - Jul 20, 2010
- 14 killed as suicide bomber targets Pakistan Army centre (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- 50 killed at Yemen military parade - May 21, 2012
- 96 dead in Yemen military parade bombing (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- `It's terrifying bomber was 14-year-old in school uniform' - Feb 11, 2011
- Pakistani army headquarters siege ends, 30 hostages freed (Fourth Lead) - Oct 11, 2009
- Hostages freed at Pakistani army headquarters (Third Lead) - Oct 11, 2009
- Seven killed in Swabi suicide attack targeting Pak politician - Mar 30, 2011
- 11 killed as gunmen storm Pakistani Army HQ (Roundup) - Oct 10, 2009
- Female suicide bomber kills 44 in Pakistan (Fifth Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
- Militants holding hostages in Pakistani Army HQ: Official (Intro Roundup) - Oct 10, 2009
- Eight hostages freed at Pakistan Army HQ: Report (Third Intro Roundup) - Oct 11, 2009
- Standoff at Pakistan army headquarters after 11 killed (Fifth Lead, Changing dateline) - Oct 10, 2009
Tags: abdul samad, afghan border, army men, army training, athar, civilian administrator, intelligence agents, mardan, military officials, military parade, military spokesman, pakistan army, pakistani soldiers, police official, samad khan, school uniform, schoolboy, security actions, suicide attack, suicide bomber