2.5 mn Pakistanis need flood aidOctober 2nd, 2011 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 2 (IANS) Over 2.5 million people affected by floods in Pakistan are in desperate need of food, drinking water and sanitation facilities, the UN has said.
According to Humaira Mehboob, an official of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), about 1.75 million people also require emergency shelter.
The country’s southern Sindh province has been devastated by floods since mid-August due to incessant rains.
Floods washed away entire communities and have left over five million people without adequate food, water, healthcare and shelter, the official APP news agency quoted her as saying Saturday.
Over 400 people were killed, 1.8 million displaced and over a million homes were destroyed or damaged.
Till date, more than 1.6 million people received medical aid, and over 400,000 people received food aid from the UN.
Safe drinking water has been delivered to approximately 200,000 people and the UN aims to double this to 400,000 in the coming weeks, the official added.
The UN has launched a rapid response plan to enable it and its partners to support Pakistan in addressing the emergency.
- Stocks run out in Pakistan's flood-hit areas: UN - Oct 30, 2011
- UN calls for over $350 mn to help flood-hit Pakistan - Sep 20, 2011
- Pakistan floods hit crucial crops - Oct 08, 2011
- $17 mn UN aid to flood-hit Pakistan - Oct 08, 2011
- $3 mn ADB flood aid for Pakistan - Oct 28, 2011
- UN agency seeks $32 mn for Myanmar - Aug 10, 2012
- Zardari pledges help to flood victims - Sep 08, 2011
- Pakistan gives out tents, food to flood-hit - Oct 04, 2011
- Underfunding for Pak flood emergency jeopardizing life-saving operations: UNICEF - Nov 06, 2010
- UN appeals for $356 million to help flood-hit Pakistan - Sep 18, 2011
- China to give $5 million more for Pakistan's flood victims - Oct 07, 2011
- Germany increases aid to Pakistan to $13 mn - Aug 12, 2010
- More than 5 million still affected by floods in Pakistan - Nov 26, 2011
- EU to provide Rs.200 million for flood relief - Oct 13, 2011
- Pak floods affected 20 million people, damaged 1.9 million houses: UN - Sep 26, 2010
Tags: 5 million, 6 million, adequate food, app news, desperate need, emergency shelter, flood aid, floods in pakistan, food aid, humanitarian affairs, incessant rains, medical aid, news agency, pakistanis, rapid response, response plan, safe drinking water, sanitation facilities, sindh province, water and sanitation