25 killed in Sri Lanka fightingOctober 11th, 2008 - 6:13 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Oct 11 (Xinhua) At least 20 Tamil tiger rebels and five soldiers were killed Friday in clashes in northern Sri Lanka, military officials said Saturday. Defence ministry officials said the clashes between Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) and the government troops occurred in Vavuniya, Kilinochchi, Mullaitihvu and Jaffna districts Friday.
A senior leader of the LTTE’s naval wing was among the dead, while around 43 rebels were also injured in the fighting, officials said.
The LTTE, however, is yet to confirm its casualty figure.
The troops said they were well on the way to capture Kilinochchi, the LTTE’s administrative headquarters in the northern part of the country.
Kilinochchi and Mullaithivu districts are considered the last strongholds of the LTTE.
Claiming discrimination at the hands of Sinhalese-dominated governments, the LTTE has been fighting for more than two decades to carve out an independent homeland for Tamil minorities in the northern part of the island country.
More than 70,000 people have died so far in the conflict.
- Resettlement of Sri Lankans displaced in LTTE battle by September end: Official - Aug 20, 2010
- Senior Sri Lankan official arrested for rebel links - Aug 03, 2009
- 49 Tamil Tigers killed in Sri Lanka (Lead) - May 09, 2009
- Sri Lanka conflict kills 16,700 people in three years - Jan 29, 2009
- Mathai raises issue of Tamil fishermen with Sri Lanka - Oct 10, 2011
- Sri Lanka releases 100 LTTE rebels held in military-run camps - Dec 26, 2010
- Sri Lankan Navy rescues fleeing civilians - Mar 18, 2009
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- Sri Lankan court extends detention of rebel doctor - Oct 10, 2009
- Krishna brings healing touch to Tamils (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Over 4,000 ex-LTTE rebels rehabilitated in Sri Lanka - Oct 16, 2010
- Pakistan to help de-mining in Sri Lanka - Oct 25, 2011
- Sri Lanka court issues arrest warrant against LTTE chief - Jan 27, 2009
- Mine blast kills seven in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Jan 09, 2009
- People can leave relief camps after rebels identified: Sri Lanka - Aug 11, 2009
Tags: administrative headquarters, defence ministry, government troops, independent homeland, jaffna, kilinochchi, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, northern sri lanka, tamil tiger rebels