23 Taliban militants killed by Pak security forces in OrakzaiApril 12th, 2010 - 5:37 pm ICT by ANI
Peshawar, Apr 12(ANI): At least 23 militants were killed in clashes with Pakistani security forces, in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) restive Orakzai Agency.
According to local officials, the soldiers used helicopters and heavy artillery in the operation carried out to target Taliban hideouts near the Afghan border. The ambush comes a day after 40 militants were killed and over 20 injured in air strikes in the same region.
A statement issued by the Inter Services Public Relations in Peshawar said that militants had started fleeing to Tirah valley of the adjacent Khyber tribal region and other parts of FATA and Afghanistan due to the successful operation in Orakzai, The Dawn reports.
The statement said Tirah, a stronghold of the proscribed Lashkar-i-Islam, had become a hub of Tahrik-i-Taliban Pakistan, Swat Taliban and foreign militants. Over 215 extremists have been killed in the last two weeks since the anti-terror operation was initiated in the region.Pakistani fighter jets had destroyed seven suspected terror hideouts and two houses belonging to pro-Taliban leaders besides killing over a dozen militants earlier this week.A huge cache of latest arms and ammunitions, bunkers, and dozens of vehicles have also been seized during the ongoing operation.Security forces have claimed gaining control over several areas in Lower Orakzai such as Bagram, Sheraz Garhi, Anari Kalay, officials said. (ANI)
- Pak fighter jets pound FATA, 13 militants killed - Apr 08, 2010
- 25 extremists killed in FATA as Pak forces continue to pound militant hideouts - Apr 17, 2010
- 15 more militants killed in fresh military operation in FATA - Apr 09, 2010
- 23 militants killed in Pakistan's Orakzai region - May 09, 2010
- 25 more Taliban killed across FATA as Pak forces continue offensive - Jun 21, 2010
- 15 militants killed in Pakistan - Jul 10, 2010
- Five suspected militants killed in Pakistan - Jan 06, 2012
- Pakistan's military failures emboldening terrorists to launch more attacks - Sep 23, 2010
- 44 Taliban insurgents killed as Pak forces continue offensive in Upper Orakzai - Jun 07, 2010
- Pak Army kills 16 Taliban militants in Orakzai Agency - Jul 23, 2010
- Pakistani fighter jets pound FATA, 12 Taliban killed - Jul 05, 2010
- Pak Army kills 15 Taliban militants in Orakzai Agency - Aug 01, 2010
- 19 militants killed in military strikes in Pakistan - Mar 28, 2010
- Seven militants killed in Pakistan's tribal area - Aug 01, 2012
- 100 Taliban insurgents killed in Orakzai offensive : Pak Army - Jul 14, 2010
Tags: afghan border, air strikes, ambush, bunkers, clashes, extremists, fighter jets, heavy artillery, helicopters, hideouts, inter services, islam, lashkar, ongoing operation, pakistan swat, peshawar, security forces, stronghold, taliban, tribal areas