22 people missing as trawler capsizes in BangladeshJanuary 19th, 2009 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Jan 19 (Xinhua) At least 22 people were missing as a trawler capsized early Monday in a river in Bangladesh’s southeastern Chandpur district, police said. Chief of Police in the district Krishna Pada Roy told Xinhua by phone that the earth-laden trawler capsized with about 50 labourers on board in Meghna river, one of the country’s three biggest rivers, after being hit by an empty cargo vessel at about 3 a.m. local time (2100 GMT).
He said some 25 labourers swam ashore, while 22 to 25 others are still missing. Chandpur district is about 115 km from capital Dhaka.
Roy said the missing people are feared to have drowned in the river.
The rescue operation is still going on, but no bodies have been recovered so far, he said.
- 22 bodies retrieved from sunken trawler in Bangladesh - Jan 20, 2009
- Four dead, 220 missing as boat sinks in Bangladesh - Mar 13, 2012
- 26 die as boat sinks in Bangladesh (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 75 missing as trawler capsizes in Bangladesh - Jul 31, 2011
- Five missing as trawler capsizes in Bangladesh - Jan 27, 2009
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 20 die in Bangladesh boat capsize - Apr 21, 2011
- All 35 dead in Bangladesh boat tragedy women, kids - Dec 19, 2010
- Bangladesh ferry capsize toll rises to 110 - Mar 14, 2012
- Bihar boat capsize toll rises to 21 - Sep 11, 2012
- Six dead as boat capsizes in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 20, 2010
- 35 dead, 10 missing in Bangladesh boat capsize - Dec 19, 2010
- Piece of wood helps boy survive after boat tragedy - Oct 31, 2010
- Seven people drown in West Bengal - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: bangladesh, cargo vessel, chandpur district, chief of police, dhaka, district police, early monday, earth, gmt, jan 19, krishna, labourers, local time, meghna river, missing people, rivers, trawler, xinhua