20 dead, nearly 200 wounded in Kabul fireJuly 5th, 2012 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, July 5 (IANS) At least 20 people died and more than 180 others were injured in two deadly fires in the Afghan capital, the authorities said Thursday.
A huge fire erupted following a blast at a propane gas reservoir at an industrial park in Pakita Kot area of eastern Kabul Wednesday. At least 17 people were killed and 155 hospitalised till Thursday, police told Xinhua.
The toll could go up as 20 severely burnt remain in critical condition, police said.
The fire damaged several buildings and residential houses in the area. Several oil and gas tanker trucks parked nearby also caught fire.
Investigation is underway, but police have ruled out terrorist activities. An electrical short circuit is believed to be the cause of the explosion in the gas reservoir.
In another incident, a gas cylinder explosion caused another fire at a five-storey building that houses several pharmaceutical companies in Khair Khana area in Kabul, leaving three people dead and around 30 injured.
Though police said the fire was caused by a gas cylinder explosion, the affected shop owners claimed it was due to a bomb planted in the building. The blast damaged seven vehicles and smashed window panes in nearby buildings.
- Gas station blast kills seven in Lebanon - Jun 07, 2011
- Six killed in Pakistan fireworks blast (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Two killed in factory fire in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 15, 2012
- Five killed in Delhi building collapse - Jan 04, 2012
- Infant and man killed in Jammu village blast (Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Seven dead, 200 injured in China blast - Nov 01, 2011
- One killed in cylinder blast - Jul 20, 2011
- Bangalore blast injures nine, destroys two buildings - Sep 21, 2011
- Infant killed in Jammu village blast - Nov 26, 2010
- Four killed, 41 wounded in Nigeria church bombing - Jun 10, 2012
- One killed, 24 injured in Kashmir car bomb blast (Second Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Suspected car bomb kills 3 in Turkish capital - Sep 20, 2011
- Nashik blast kills three, police rule out bomb - Jun 08, 2011
- Four kids injured in gas cylinder blast - Jun 14, 2011
- One dead in Mumbai fire - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: afghan capital, bomb, critical condition, cylinder explosion, deadly fires, fire investigation, gas cylinder, gas tanker, hospitalised, kabul, nearby buildings, oil and gas, pharmaceutical companies, propane gas, residential houses, short circuit, tanker trucks, terrorist activities, window panes, xinhua