19 times Everest summiter missing after avalanche in NepalOctober 25th, 2010 - 11:55 am ICT by ANI
Kathmandu, Oct 25(ANI): Chhewang Nima, a Nepalese Sherpa famous in mountaineering circles for climbing Mount Everest 19 times, has gone missing after being struck by an avalanche while nearing the peak of Mount Baruntse in Nepal.
Chhewang was leading an expedition of seven people when he went missing on Saturday, said Sherpa Shangri-la Treks and Expedition- the mountaineering agency for which he works.
He was fixing ropes at an elevation of 7,045 metres while guiding the expedition trying to reach the 7,129-metre peak.
The other climbers searched for Chhewang after the accident, but were unable to find him, the BBC reports.
Jiban Ghimire, of the Sherpa Shangri-la Treks and Expedition, said that it was possible that because of Chhewang’s skills and experience he may still be alive.
“He’s a good climber, he knows how to survive,” Ghimire said.
He also said that the poor weather conditions have prevented rescue missions from being launched.
A helicopter was dispatched to look for the missing climber on Sunday morning, but had to return because of bad weather.
Chhewang is just one climb short of the record set by fellow Nepalese Sherpa Apa, who holds the record for summiting Everest with 20 climbs.
Everest is the world’s highest mountain above sea level, at 8,848 meters (29,029 feet). (ANI)
- 9-yr-old Nepalese boy may be the youngest Everest climber - Nov 08, 2010
- President flags-in Indian Army's Everest team - Jul 03, 2012
- Nepal's 9-yr-old to defy age bar for Everest record - Nov 05, 2010
- (VM) Indian Army women's team to scale Mount Everest - Mar 12, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee gets towering gifts - from the Himalayas - May 21, 2011
- Assam mountaineer set to scale Mount Everest - Mar 23, 2012
- 'Super Sherpa' hangs up Everest boots after 21st summit - May 27, 2011
- 'Super Sherpa' breaks Everest record with 21 summits - May 11, 2011
- After Arunachal, Orissa shows way to top of Mt Everest - May 18, 2011
- Spaniard dies after reaching Everest's summit - May 24, 2012
- Third climber dies on Mt Everest - May 13, 2011
- Bravehearts write new records on Mt Everest - May 07, 2011
- Haryana couple takes love to great height - Mt Everest - May 20, 2011
- Brit mountaineer Kinloch dies after reaching Everest - Jun 02, 2010
- Pakistani mountaineer climbs Mt. Everest - May 12, 2011
Tags: apa, avalanche, bad weather, circles, climbers, climbing mount everest, elevation, helicopter, highest mountain, kathmandu, mount everest, mountaineering, nepalese, poor weather conditions, rescue missions, ropes, sea level, shangri la, sunday morning, treks