19 injured in Afghan mosque blastAugust 3rd, 2012 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) At least 19 people were injured in Afghanistan when a powerful bomb exploded during Friday prayers in a mosque, a media report said.
According to the Pajhwok news agency, the blast took place in a mosque in Chaparhar, a predominantly Pashtun populated area in Nangarhar province.
Eyewitnesses said the imam of the mosque was seriously injured.
According to the health ministry, the injured were rushed to a hospital in the provincial capital Jalalabad. Nine were discharged after receiving first medical aid.
Fazel Hadi Moslimyar, speaker of the Afghan senate, blamed the blast on Taliban militants.
The Taliban were yet to comment.
Friday’s blast was the second mosque blast in Afghanistan in less than a week.
On July 30, at least five people, including a local judge, were killed when an explosive device went off at a mosque in Uruzgan province.
- Twelve killed in Afghan suicide bombing - Sep 02, 2012
- UN to pull staff out of Afghan provinces - Aug 31, 2012
- 10 die in Afghanistan airport suicide blast - Feb 27, 2012
- Eight killed in Afghan bank attack - Feb 19, 2011
- NATO forces kill Afghan president's cousin by mistake - Mar 10, 2011
- 10 dead, 12 wounded in Afghan airport bombing (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Afghan attacks show NATO's failure: Karzai - Apr 16, 2012
- Afghans protest Pakistani shelling - Jul 11, 2011
- Taliban kill senior Afghan police official - Jul 28, 2011
- Five Killed, many injured in Syria blast - Sep 04, 2012
- Karzai advisor's family members killed - Aug 21, 2012
- Two US soldiers killed by Afghan cop - Aug 18, 2012
- Afghan Taliban urged to renounce violence - Jun 30, 2011
- 17 Tajik security officers killed - Jul 28, 2012
- Twin blasts kill 12 at Syria funeral - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: afghan, afghanistan, bomb, dg, explosive device, eyewitnesses, health ministry, imam, jalalabad, medical aid, moscow, mosque, news agency, pajhwok news, prayers, provincial capital, ria novosti, senate, taliban