18-month-old Chinese girl excretes 21 nails in a monthJune 13th, 2010 - 2:01 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 13 (ANI): An 18-month-old Chinese girl is believed to be suffering from Pica - an eating disorder characterized by persistent cravings to eat nonfood items such as dirt or cigarette butts, after she repeatedly excreted nails.
The girl was diagnosed with the disorder after paediatricians from from Xi’an, capital of the northwestern Shaanxi Province, conducted an examination, reports English.news.cn.
“Pica is likely, but we need to carry out further research. It’s very strange where she got all these nails,” professor Gao Ya from the No. 2 Hospital Affiliated to Xi’an Jiaotong University said.
The girl’s mother Liu Xiaoya claimed that they did not find any such nails at home. “Her grandfather said he had some, but didn’t know whether any were missing,” Liu said.
Pica is a severe eating disorder that is often caused by deficiency of zinc, iron or other trace elements. It can result in serious health problems such as lead poisoning or iron-deficiency anemia.
But the blood tests of the girl revealed that her zinc, calcium and magnesium levels were normal, only the iron level being slightly low, Dr. Chen Hongxiong, of the Children’s Hospital of Yulin City said.
The girl excreted 21 nails and a steel pin in the last month, but had no signs of illness. She ate and drank as usual, reports Xinhua.
The girl excreted nails in the hospital as well. Latest X-rays showed she still had a nail and a steel pin in her stomach.
“We need to help her expel these as soon as possible without causing injury,” Chen said. (ANI)
- Chinese toddler excreting nails suspected to be victim of abuse - Jun 19, 2010
- 18-month-old girl in China excretes nails - Jun 11, 2010
- US girl eats five soaps a week - Feb 08, 2011
- Panda numbers increase in China - Dec 17, 2011
- Iron supplements lower fatigue in non-anaemic women - Jul 10, 2012
- 19 years old Tempestt Henderson consumes up to five bars of soap a week - Feb 09, 2011
- Chinese woman sues cinema hall for excessive ads - Sep 10, 2010
- Tough call: Showcasing high-art stainless steel on its 100th anniversary (With images) - Mar 09, 2012
- Kerry Trebilcock loves to eat sponges & soap bars - Feb 29, 2012
- 12 dead in China landslides - Sep 19, 2011
- Iron deficiency during early pregnancy harms child's brain - Mar 23, 2011
- Mineral-rich rice to ease world's nutritional disorder - Sep 12, 2011
- Chinese who killed woman after accident sentenced to death - Apr 22, 2011
- Chinese judokas set sight on heavyweight classes - Jul 09, 2012
- Chinese farmer claims sheep gave birth to 'puppy' - Mar 26, 2011
Tags: chinese girl, cigarette butts, dr chen, eating disorder, iron deficiency, iron deficiency anemia, iron level, jiaotong university, magnesium levels, nonfood, paediatricians, professor gao, s hospital, serious health, shaanxi province, steel pin, trace elements, x rays, yulin, zinc iron