15 security personnel killed in militant attack on check post in northwest PakistanApril 22nd, 2011 - 3:06 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, April 22(ANI): At least 15 soldiers were killed in a militant attack on a security checkpoint in northwest Pakistan early Friday morning.
A large number of militants, carrying heavy weapons, including rockets, launched a huge attack on a check post in Lower Dir district along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border, Urdu TV channel ARY quoted security officials, as saying.
Sources said that around 34 border security personnel and 10 policemen were jointly manning the border check post, when the attack took place.
They said the security forces returned fire after they were attacked by the militants, and both sides exchanged fire for several hours. Army helicopters were called for support, which shelled hideouts of the militants.
Several soldiers were also injured in the attack, and the army shifted the bodies and injured to a hospital in Timergara, a main town in the Dir district.
The injured were later shifted to Peshawar, the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
Army helicopter gunships later bombed militant positions in the mountainous areas, but there have been no report of the militants’ casualties, Xinhua reports.
The firing between Pakistani security forces and the militants is still going on, said the report.
Officials in the area said that militants from Afghanistan had crossed into Pakistan and backed the Pakistani militants in they called the biggest attack in recent months.
There are unconfirmed reports that the militants have also held several soldiers hostage. (ANI)
- 15 dead in Pakistan check post attack (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- 3 militiamen, over 20 militants killed in Pakistan clashes - Aug 25, 2012
- 13 Pakistani soldiers killed in Afghan attack (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Pakistan protests Afghan attack (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Pakistan protests cross-border attack - Jun 25, 2012
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- 20 militants killed in Pakistan - Nov 16, 2011
- 34 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Two Pakistani soldiers killed in cross-border attack - Aug 09, 2012
- ISAF commander meets Pakistan army chief (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Pakistan blast: 31 killed, Taliban claims responsibility - Sep 15, 2011
- Pakistan has permanently stopped NATO supply: Minister - Nov 28, 2011
- Seven soldiers killed in Pakistan - Mar 10, 2012
- 18 militants killed in army operation in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2012
- 10 soldiers, 40 militants killed in Pakistan clash - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: army helicopter, army helicopters, border security, casualties, friday morning, hideouts, hostage, militant positions, mountainous areas, northwest, pakistan islamabad, policemen, rockets, security checkpoint, security forces, security officials, security personnel, tv channel, urdu, xinhua