15 die of waterborne disease in PakistanAugust 16th, 2010 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 16 (IANS) At least 15 people were killed due to breakout of gastroenteritis disease Monday at a hospital in Dera Ismail Khan of Pakistan’s Khyber- Pakhtunkhwa province which has been severely hit by floods, hospital sources said.
The waterborne gastroenteritis killed several dozen people last week as more cases have also been reported elsewhere across the flood-plagued country, Xinhua reported.
Over two weeks of heavy rains and floods have so far killed more than 1,400 people, displaced 20 million others and destroyed about 700,000 homes in Pakistan which is experiencing worst flood in its history.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has reported a case of fatal cholera disease over the weekend. It has estimated that some 36,000 people have been affected by breakout of cholera in the country, which is entangled with waterborne diseases.
The worst-hit northwest province of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa is now faced with epidemic breakout as not only carcasses of thousands of cattle but decomposition of human bodies has posed a new challenge.
The Pakistani health ministry has sent a red alert to the WHO for starting an emergency treatment against the diseases which are spreading faster along the flowing polluted water.
- 3.5 mn Pakistani children at risk of fatal diseases - Aug 17, 2010
- Flood-hit Pakistanis facing serious health risk - Aug 17, 2010
- Pakistan floods toll tops 670 - Jul 31, 2010
- Quake hits Pakistan - Aug 24, 2010
- Toll reaches over 800 in Pakistan floods (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- Three mn affected by Pakistan's worst floods: UNICEF - Aug 03, 2010
- JuD openly involved in flood relief efforts despite UN ban - Aug 04, 2010
- Dengue alarm: Pakistan asks for Indian drugs - Sep 13, 2011
- Floods trigger epidemic fears in Meghalaya - Aug 22, 2011
- Militants trying to enter Peshawar in guise of flood victims: Report - Aug 02, 2010
- Death toll from Pakistan's floods reach 1,500 - Aug 03, 2010
- 79,000 people vaccinated in flood-hit Pakistan - Sep 09, 2010
- Roof collapse in northern Pakistan kills 5, injures 3 - Sep 05, 2012
- Heavy monsoon rains in northern Pakistan kill 26 - Aug 25, 2012
- Stocks run out in Pakistan's flood-hit areas: UN - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: carcasses, cholera disease, decomposition, dera ismail khan, emergency treatment, floods, health ministry, heavy rains, hospital sources, human bodies, ismail khan, khyber, new challenge, northwest province, pakistan islamabad, polluted water, red alert, waterborne diseases, world health organisation, xinhua