141 dead, 4 mn homeless in Pakistan floodsSeptember 11th, 2011 - 6:42 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 11 (IANS) At least 141 people have died and four million have been left homeless in floods that have hit southern Pakistan, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said.
In a TV address Saturday night, Gilani said the scale of destruction caused by the rains in Sindh province was much higher than the initial estimates, and called for the international community’s support to the flood-affected people, Xinhua reported Sunday.
He said the recent rains in Sindh were 142 percent above average in the region.
A total of 21 districts have been affected, 4.1 million acres of land inundated and standing crops on more than 1.7 million acres of agriculture land were damaged.
Gilani said 4,000 camps have been set up, where 150,000 out of the four million flood-affected people have been accommodated.
The government has arranged 100,000 more tents, while arrangements are being made to distribute 100,000 family ration bags on a daily basis, the prime minister said.
- Over 300 killed, 6 million affected in Pakistan floods - Sep 18, 2011
- 12,000 tents distributed in Pakistan province - Aug 21, 2011
- Pakistan floods: Toll rises to 412 - Sep 25, 2011
- Iran to give $100 mn aid to Pakistan - Sep 12, 2011
- Wheat, rice cheaper in Pakistan than India - Sep 20, 2011
- China to give $4.7 mn emergency aid to Pakistan - Sep 11, 2011
- Help Pakistan, says Gilani following floods - Sep 19, 2011
- Floods to magnify food insecurity: Pakistan daily - Sep 20, 2011
- 'Foreign aid for flood-hit Pakistan inadequate' - Sep 27, 2011
- China to give $5 million more for Pakistan's flood victims - Oct 07, 2011
- Food aid to Pakistan reaches 7,000 tonnes: WFP - Sep 30, 2011
- Floods wreck havoc in Brazil - Feb 28, 2012
- Pakistan gives out tents, food to flood-hit - Oct 04, 2011
- Pakistan flood affected 240,000 pregnant women - Sep 27, 2011
- A relief camp just for Gilani's visit - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: 1 million, agriculture land, daily basis, flood, floods, gilani, initial estimates, million acres, prime minister, raza, saturday night, sep 11, southern pakistan, standing crops, tents, tv address, xinhua, yousuf