14 security officials killed in militant ambush in Pak’s Khyber tribal regionMarch 29th, 2011 - 11:57 am ICT by ANI
Peshawar, Mar 29(ANI): A militant ambush on a convoy of Pakistan security forces in the country’s Khyber tribal region has left 14 officials dead.
A senior security official said that the personnel were returning to their base after carrying out a search operation in the nearby Sipah area when militants ambushed them in Shindhand.
He said that most of the casualties were caused when one of the mortars targeting the militants exploded in the barrel of the gun.
“Those martyred in the attack included a colonel and a captain,” The Telegraph quoted the official, as saying.
Another security official confirmed the attack and the casualties, and said that the paramilitary Frontier Corps personnel were travelling in a convoy of up to four vehicles at the time of the attack.
Khyber, a home to Taliban insurgents and militants from the extremist group Lashkar-e-Islam, lies on the main NATO land supply route through Pakistan into Afghanistan, where foreign forces are battling to reverse an escalating Taliban insurgency.
Taliban and Al-Qaeda-linked militants frequently launch attacks across northwestern Pakistan and the tribal badlands on the Afghan border, which Washington has branded as the most dangerous place in the world. (ANI)
- Friendly fire, not militants, killed 14 Pak security officials in Khyber: Yasin Malik - Mar 30, 2011
- 9 securitymen, 15 militants killed in Pakistan clash - Oct 17, 2011
- Three killed in Pakistan bombing (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Militants ambush Pakistani troops, killing 9 soldiers - Oct 18, 2011
- Fourteen troops killed in Pakistan - Mar 29, 2011
- Twin blasts rock Pakistan's tribal area - Jan 29, 2011
- Dozens killed after militants ambush NATO convoy in western Afghanistan - Mar 30, 2012
- 14 Pakistani soldiers die in ambush (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
- Two NATO oil tankers destroyed in bomb explosion in Pak's Khyber region - Mar 04, 2011
- Seven soldiers killed in Pakistan - Mar 10, 2012
- Eight die in suicide bombing in Pakistan tunnel (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- 25 killed in blast near militant base in Pakistan (Third Lead) - Feb 18, 2010
- Suicide bombing kills 13 in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 10, 2010
- Three Pakistani soldiers killed in bomb attack - Oct 20, 2010
- 31 killed in blast near militant base in Pakistan (Fourth Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
Tags: afghan border, al qaeda, ambush, badlands, casualties, colonel, convoy, dangerous place, extremist group, insurgents, islam, mortars, northwestern pakistan, search operation, security forces, security official, security officials, senior security, taliban, telegraph