14 killed, nearly 40 wounded in Pakistan blast (Second Lead)June 8th, 2012 - 12:12 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 7 (IANS) At least 14 people, including two children, were killed and around 40 injured Thursday in a bomb blast outside an Islamic seminary in Pakistan’s Quetta city, police said.
The blast at the Jamia Islamia Miftahul Uloom in Satellite Town area took place around 3 p.m. when a large number of people gathered for the annual degree and prize distribution ceremony, Deputy Inspector General Qazi Abdul Wahid was quoted as saying by Geo News.
Wahid said an unidentified militant had hidden explosive materials inside flower garlands brought for the ceremony.
The militant, however, failed to enter the seminary building because of tight security measures and parked his explosives-laden bicycle outside the main gate.
The children who died in the blast were aged between six and eight years.
Another senior police officer, Mir Zubair told Xinhua the blast was triggered by a timed device. At least six kg of explosives were used.
Local media said the seminary belonged to Sunni Muslims and the attack could be a result of sectarian confrontation between Sunnis and Shias.
No one claimed responsibility for the attack.
- 12 killed, 40 wounded in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Eight die in Pakistan blast - Jun 07, 2012
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- 13 die as gunmen open fire in Pakistan city (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Blasts rock Pakistan, 11 killed - Sep 18, 2012
- Terror bid foiled in Pakistan - Sep 24, 2011
- Four dead, over 40 injured in two blasts in Pakistan - Jun 21, 2012
- Two dead in Pakistan stadium blast (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Suicide bomber gunned down in Pakistan - Apr 27, 2012
- Two kids killed in Pakistan bombing (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Pakistani minister blames militants for attacks on Christians - Sep 15, 2010
- Nine Shias gunned down in Pakistan - Apr 14, 2012
- 10 dead, 45 wounded in Iraq suicide bombing - Jun 04, 2012
- Four policemen killed in Pakistan - Jun 09, 2012
- 20 killed in Pakistan blast - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: abdul wahid, bomb blast, city police, confrontation, deputy inspector general, explosive materials, explosives, geo news, islamic seminary, jamia islamia, local media, prize distribution, qazi, quetta city, satellite town, seminary building, sunni muslims, sunnis and shias, tight security measures, xinhua