13 killed in clash over water in PakistanSeptember 16th, 2010 - 6:44 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 16 (IANS) At least 13 people were killed Thursday in a fresh clash between two tribal groups over water dispute in Pakistan’s northwestern Kurram region.
In the clash between Mangal and Bangash tribes, the two rival groups used automatic weapons against each other. As a result, 13 persons, including 10 Afghan nationals, were killed and 19 were seriously injured, Xinhua reported, citing sources.
The dispute between the two groups had taken a new turn after the involvement of militants in the clashes which took place in the tribal region’s Shalozan and Tangi areas.
Some locals said the Afghan nationals were urging the people to violence.
Meanwhile, authorities claimed that steps were being taken to restore peace between the tribes.
So far, at least 49 people have been killed and 80 sustained injuries in the two-week clashes in Kurram near the border with Afghanistan.
- 12 killed in clash over water in Pakistan - Sep 10, 2010
- 33 militants killed in northwest Pakistan - Apr 29, 2011
- Militants kill 8 and kidnap several others in northwest Pakistan - Mar 25, 2011
- Shia militias helping Haqqani network evade US drone attacks, cross Pak-Afghan border - Nov 28, 2010
- Two killed, six injured in landmine blast in northwest Pakistan - Apr 30, 2011
- 9 securitymen, 15 militants killed in Pakistan clash - Oct 17, 2011
- Ten schoolchildren kidnapped in Pak's Kurram region freed following negotiations - Apr 02, 2011
- 14 militants killed in Pakistan's tribal region - Jul 19, 2011
- 10 soldiers, 40 militants killed in Pakistan clash - Jan 31, 2012
- Six kids among 26 killed in Pakistan attacks (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- 32 killed in clashes in north-west Pakistan (Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- Eight militants killed in Pakistan - Oct 04, 2011
- 3 militiamen, over 20 militants killed in Pakistan clashes - Aug 25, 2012
- 20 militants killed in Pakistan - Nov 16, 2011
- 18 killed in militant attack in Pakistan - Jul 17, 2010
Tags: afghanistan, authorities, automatic weapons, bangash, citing sources, clash, clashes, kurram, locals, mangal, militants, nationals, pakistan islamabad, rival groups, tangi, tribal groups, tribes, violence, water dispute, xinhua