13 die in drone strike in Pakistan (Lead)February 1st, 2012 - 1:39 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 1 (IANS) At least 13 people, including six foreigners, were killed Wednesday in a US drone attack in northwest Pakistan, a media report said.
The US drone fired three missiles at a militants’ hideout in Darand Shekhan area of upper Orakzai agency, a militancy-hit tribal area where Pakistan army has been battling local and foreign Taliban militants for the past four months, Xinhua reported citing a TV report.
The media report said six foreigners were among the dead.
In a separate attack early Wednesday, Pakistan army killed 13 militants and destroyed five hideouts in the same area. Some media reports said that this operation was carried out by a combination of Pakistani jets and US drones.
On Tuesday, 10 soldiers were killed and 32 injured in a check post attack by militants in neighbouring Kurram Agency.
Wednesday morning’s drone strike came just a day after Foreign Office spokesperson Abdul Basit stated that drone attacks were unacceptable to the Pakistani government.
This is the fourth strike of its kind in northwestern tribal area of Pakistan and the first of its kind in Orakzai agency since the beginning of 2012.
- 20 militants killed in Pakistan - Nov 16, 2011
- 12 militants killed in Pakistan - Jan 28, 2012
- Five suspected militants killed in Pakistan - Jan 06, 2012
- At least 20 suspected militants killed in Pak tribal region - Dec 30, 2010
- 10 killed in Pakistan drone strike - May 24, 2012
- 33 militants killed in northwest Pakistan - Apr 29, 2011
- 10 die in drone strike in Pakistan - Feb 08, 2012
- 18 militants killed in Pakistan - Mar 01, 2012
- US drone kills four in Pakistan - May 26, 2012
- 33 insurgents killed in northwest Pakistan - Apr 29, 2011
- At least six militants killed in Pak's Kurram region - Mar 05, 2011
- US drones kill seven in Pakistan (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- 10 militants killed in Pakistan - Jun 14, 2010
- 14 militants killed in Pakistan's tribal region - Jul 19, 2011
- 34 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: area of pakistan, drone, drones, foreign office, foreigners, four months, hideout, hideouts, jets, kurram agency, militancy, pakistan army, pakistani government, spokesperson, taliban, three missiles, tribal area, tv report, wednesday morning, xinhua