12 killed, 40 wounded in Pakistan blast (Lead)June 7th, 2012 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 7 (IANS) At least 12 people were killed and over 40 injured Thursday in a bomb blast outside a seminary in Pakistan’s Quetta city, police said.
The blast took place around 3 p.m. when a large number of people gathered in the Islamic religious school for the annual degree and prize distribution ceremony, said Deputy Inspector General Qazi Abdul Wahid.
He said an unidentified militant had hidden explosive materials inside flower garlands brought for the ceremony, Xinhua reported.
The militant, however, failed to enter the school building because of tight security measures and parked his explosives-laden bicycle outside the main gate.
Senior police officer Mir Zubair said the blast was triggered by a timed device. At least six kg of explosives were used.
Local media said the seminary belonged to Sunni Muslims and the attack could be a result of sectarian confrontation between Sunnis and Shias.
No one claimed responsibility for the attack.
- 14 killed, nearly 40 wounded in Pakistan blast (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Eight die in Pakistan blast - Jun 07, 2012
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Blasts rock Pakistan, 11 killed - Sep 18, 2012
- 13 die as gunmen open fire in Pakistan city (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Two dead in Pakistan stadium blast (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- 9 killed in wave of sectarian violence in Quetta - Sep 01, 2012
- Terror bid foiled in Pakistan - Sep 24, 2011
- Suicide bomber gunned down in Pakistan - Apr 27, 2012
- Nine Shias gunned down in Pakistan - Apr 14, 2012
- 10 dead, 45 wounded in Iraq suicide bombing - Jun 04, 2012
- Four dead, over 40 injured in two blasts in Pakistan - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistani minister blames militants for attacks on Christians - Sep 15, 2010
- Two Shia clerics killed in Iraq drive-by shooting - Sep 01, 2012
- Four policemen killed in Pakistan - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: bicycle, bomb blast, city police, confrontation, deputy inspector general, explosive materials, explosives, flower, islamic religious school, local media, pakistan, police officer, prize distribution, qazi, quetta city, seminary, sunni muslims, sunnis and shias, tight security measures, xinhua