12 dead in Pakistan police station attackJune 26th, 2011 - 1:38 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 26 (IANS) Twelve policemen were killed and a dozen others injured when militants stormed a police station in northwest Pakistan Saturday, Xinhua reported.
The attack took place around 4.30 p.m. at a police station in the Kulachi area of Dera Ismail Khan district.
Policemen who were earlier held hostage inside the building were rescued after nearly five hours of gunbattle.
Five of the 12 attackers were killed and the rest managed to escape, local media reports said.
Meanwhile the security forces have taken control of the police station and a search operation is underway.
Grenade blasts and firing were heard shortly after the attackers entered the building. Earlier reports said that at least six policemen were killed.
Over a 100 security personnel had reached the site but were unable to enter the building as policemen were held hostage.
Some of the militants had taken positions on the roof of the police station and were firing at the security forces who surrounded the building.
Three blasts were heard when the security forces backed by armored vehicles tried to storm the police station, witnesses said. Several police vehicles were destroyed.
No group has so far claimed the responsibility for the attack.
- Six dead, 25 held hostage in Pakistan police station attack (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- Militants storm police station in Pakistan, six dead (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- Nine dead in Pakistan suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- One killed in attack on Pakistani police station - Jul 16, 2012
- Four policemen injured in Pakistan suicide bombing (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Four Maoists killed in Jharkhand - Mar 05, 2012
- 13 Jharkhand policemen killed in Maoist ambush - Jan 21, 2012
- No negotiations with Taliban: Rehman Malik - Jan 14, 2012
- Three cops, 3 rebels killed in Peshawar suicide attack (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Gunmen kill four during hostage crisis in western Iraq - Oct 04, 2011
- Two killed in attack on Pakistan police station - Feb 24, 2012
- Maoists blast school, attack police station in Jharkhand - Dec 06, 2011
- 10 killed after suicide bombers storm police station in southeastern Afghanistan - May 22, 2011
- Exporting terror has caused internal warfare: Pakistan daily - Jun 27, 2011
- Haryana farmers torch police station - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: armored vehicles, attackers, dera ismail khan, dera ismail khan district, grenade, gunbattle, hostage, ismail khan, local media, northwest, pakistan, police station, police vehicles, policemen, search operation, security forces, security personnel, three blasts, xinhua