118 killed in Pakistan plane crash (Lead)April 20th, 2012 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 20 (IANS) At least 118 people were killed in Pakistan when an airliner with a 127-strong complement on board crashed near Islamabad city Friday evening in inclement weather, Xinhua reported citing local media reports.
The Pakistan Defence Ministry confirmed that 118 people were killed in Bhoja Airline flight B4-213 crash, said reports.
Reports suggest the plane, carrying 118 passengers and nine crew, was making its final approach to the airport when it crashed, BBC reported.
Saifur Rehman, from a police rescue team, said the plane came down in Hussain Abad village, two miles from the main Islamabad highway.
Reports said the Islamabad-bound plane came down at Lohi Bher area, a few kilometres from the capital city. It was coming from the port city of Karachi.
The Boeing-737 crashed on houses, causing fires.
The accident took place near Chaklala airbase in the garrison city of Rawalpindi, Geo News reported.
According to sources, the Boeing 737, which flew from Karachi at 5.00 p.m., was supposed to land in Islamabad at 6.40 p.m. but crashed just before touchdown.
Confirming the crash report, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said rescue teams, including army personnel, have rushed to the accident site.
According to sources in the CAA, the flight was given clearance to land but it lost contact with the control tower minutes before it crashed.
Rescue teams, including Pakistan army personnel, rushed to the crash site.
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Plane carrying 127 passengers crashes in Pakistan - Apr 20, 2012
- Passenger plane crashes into Pakistani neighborhood, casualties feared - Apr 20, 2012
- Gilani orders plane crash probe, official hints at blunder (Roundup) - Apr 21, 2012
- Passenger plane crashes near Pakistani capital of Islamabad, many killed (Updated) - Apr 20, 2012
- 'Pakistani plane shouldn't have been allowed to land' (Second Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Boeing offers to assist Pakistan in crash probe - Apr 21, 2012
- All on board dead in Pakistan plane crash - Apr 21, 2012
- Pakistan to probe plane crash that killed 127 (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Plane crash victims' kin arrive in Islamabad - Apr 21, 2012
- Pakistan grounds all private jets for checks - Apr 24, 2012
- Pakistan aircrash: Black box to be taken to US - May 04, 2012
- Chinese president mourns Pakistan plane crash victims - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: airbase, airline flight, army personnel, boeing 737, civil aviation authority, control tower, crash report, crash site, defence ministry, final approach, garrison city, geo news, inclement weather, pakistan army, pakistan defence, plane crash, police rescue, rawalpindi, rehman, xinhua