1 killed, 35 injured in train bomb blast in BalochistanJune 11th, 2009 - 6:18 pm ICT by ANI
Quetta, June 11 (ANI): One person has reportedly been killed and 35 others injured in a bomb blast that took place in a local train traveling from Karachi to Quetta, the capital of Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province.
According to the sources, the bomb was hidden in a toilet, and exploded when the train was about 45 kilometres away from its destination (Quetta).
“One was killed and 35 people were injured in a blast on a passenger train,” The Dawn quoted a railway official, Ahmad Magsi, as saying.
“It was a bomb planted in a toilet in an economy class carriage. Rescue work is underway. It is a far-flung area and we are facing difficulties to shift the injured to hospital,” Magsi added.
No terrorist group has taken responsibility for the blast yet.
Militant and sectarian violence is widespread in Balochistan, which borders Afghanistan and Iran.
Hundreds of people have died in the province due to an insurgency which started in late 2004, with rebels demanding political autonomy and a greater share of profits from the region’s natural resources. (ANI)
- Balochistan chief minister escapes Quetta suicide blast (Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- Train blast kills one, injures 35 in Pakistan city - Jun 11, 2009
- Balochistan chief minister escapes bid on life (Second Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- 13 die as gunmen open fire in Pakistan city (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Gunmen execute 10 road workers in southwest Pakistan - Sep 15, 2012
- 11 injured in Pakistan bomb blast - Feb 07, 2011
- 12 killed in Pakistan road accident - Aug 19, 2011
- Three dead, 35 wounded in Pakistan bombing - Jun 18, 2012
- Four policemen killed in Pakistan - Jun 09, 2012
- One killed in Quetta bomb blast - Jun 07, 2011
- Official shot dead in Pakistan's Quetta - Oct 08, 2011
- Two killed in Pakistan blast - May 22, 2010
- Five hurt in Quetta blast - Sep 27, 2010
- Suicide blast kills one in Pakistan's Quetta city - Apr 07, 2011
- 25 killed, 55 injured in Pakistan bombings - Sep 07, 2011
Tags: ahmad, balochistan, bomb blast, borders, capital of pakistan, class carriage, economy class, insurgency, karachi, kilometres, local train, natural resources, passenger train, political autonomy, quetta, railway official, rebels, sectarian violence, terrorist group, train bomb