Your mobile phone can also be a credit cardAugust 5th, 2010 - 1:41 pm ICT by IANS
Istanbul, Aug 5 (IANS) Imagine swiping a mobile phone to pay for all the things that you buy! This has just been made possible by latest technology that allows bank information to be stored in your mobile phones’ memory cards.
Global credit card giant Visa has entered a partnership with a Turkish bank to launch this technology, the first of its kind in Europe.
This technology is used to store bank information in memory cards placed in mobile phones and allow them to be waved in front of credit card payment points, Visa Europe, which has collaborated with Turkey’s Akbank, said.
The same technology which allows a credit card to be swiped in a special reader is being used in this latest cellphone technique, it said.
The memory cards which bring Visa’s new “payWave” technology to any phone with a memory card slot, have been developed by a company named DeviceFidelity, Xinhua reported.
In future, this technology will also allow transfer of money between individuals, Mary Carol Garris, head of Visa Europe’s mobile technologies department, said.
Visa Europe’s regional director Berna Ulman said Turkey was Europe’s innovation centre for credit card technologies, saying, “the many firsts in Turkey have provided direction for the rest of Europe”.
With 30,000 of these payment devices launched in Turkey, the country was at the forefront of such technology in Europe.
For security reasons, purchases over 35 Turkish lira will require a pin number, but everything under that can be swiped directly, she said.
Turkey has 85 million cellphone subscribers. It is ranked second in Europe for credit card use, Hakan Binbasgil, deputy chairman of Akbank, said.
- US cellphone carriers check out mobile payments - Aug 03, 2010
- iPhone swipe enough to pay for your shopping - Jan 27, 2011
- Google to turn your smartphones into credit cards! - Mar 30, 2011
- Need to shift from cash to electronic payment: Subbarao - Aug 03, 2012
- Now, book and pay for Air India tickets from your mobile - Mar 20, 2012
- 141 mn people to use mobiles for payments: Gartner - Jul 21, 2011
- Now, a credit card that 'talks' to you! - Mar 11, 2011
- Soon, swipe cell phone to pay for shopaholics' purchases! - Sep 23, 2010
- Pitroda creation creates waves in mobile commerce market - Aug 06, 2011
- iPhone 5 & iPad 2 could be disastrous for credit cards - Jan 26, 2011
- MasterCard, C-SAM to jointly offer mobile wallet service - May 18, 2012
- Eight held for credit card fraud - Oct 20, 2011
- New system soon to book train e-tickets - Sep 14, 2012
- Ericsson launches mobile money services - Feb 03, 2011
- Soon, you could 'swipe' your iPhone instead of a credit card! - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: akbank, bank information, credit card giant, credit card payment, deputy chairman, firsts, global credit card, innovation centre, latest technology, mary carol, memory card slot, memory cards, million cellphone subscribers, mobile technologies, pin number, regional director, security reasons, turkey the country, turkish lira, xinhua