Worst virus in years infects 6.5 mn computersJanuary 17th, 2009 - 8:51 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Jan 17 (DPA) A computer virus attack that has infected more than 6.5 million Windows PCs this week is one of the worst in years, internet security firm F-Secure said Friday.In total the worm, which is known as Downadup or Conficker, has infected nearly nine million PCs since its first version was unleashed two years ago.
“The number of Downadup infections (is) skyrocketing,” Toni Koivunen, an F-Secure researcher, said in an entry to the company’s security lab blog. “From an estimated 2.4 million infected machines to over 8.9 million during the last four days. That’s just amazing.”
Computer users have little to fear if they keep their computers patched with the latest Microsoft security fixes, but Microsoft says that at least one third of PCs have not yet been updated.
“We haven’t seen outbreaks of this scale in many years,” the company’s lead researcher Mikko Hypponen told ComputerWorld.com.
Microsoft says the worm exploits a bug in the Windows Server service used by Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Server 2003 and Server 2008.
The worm works by searching for a Windows executable file called “services.exe” and then becomes part of that code. Once it’s embedded in a PC, Downadup generates a list of possible domains, selects one, then uses that domain to reach a malicious server from which it downloads additional malware to install on the hijacked computer.
The latest version of the virus is particularly nasty since it uses a complicated algorithm to create hundreds of new domains, making it much harder for security experts to shut it down.
- Experts brace for possible computer worm attack - Mar 31, 2009
- World's most prolific source of spam emails shut down - Mar 19, 2011
- Conficker worm: How to tell if your PC is infected & Using Removal Tools - Apr 01, 2009
- Conficker worm a continuing threat: Microsoft - Apr 26, 2012
- FBI to block web in 350,000 computers worldwide - Apr 25, 2012
- Tech experts fail to conquer Conficker worm - Sep 22, 2009
- Apple asks Russian anti-virus firm to improve OS X security - May 15, 2012
- Microsoft issues emergency flaw fix - Aug 03, 2010
- World's biggest source of spam e-mails shut down - Mar 20, 2011
- Arrests made in malware fraud case which infected millions of computers worldwide - Nov 10, 2011
- Researchers discover way to find Confiker computer worm - Mar 31, 2009
- Microsoft announces automatic upgrades for Internet Explorer - Dec 16, 2011
- Buy original software, Microsoft tells people in Lucknow - Apr 06, 2011
- Cyber arms race could change the world around us (Comment) - Jun 27, 2012
- One in 10 computers vulnerable to cyber attack - Jul 23, 2010
Tags: 5 million, algorithm, computer users, computer virus attack, computerworld, internet security, malicious server, malware, microsoft security fixes, new domains, researcher, security experts, security firm, security lab, server service, windows 2000 xp, windows pcs, windows server, worm, worst virus