Work on BrahMos’ hypersonic version onOctober 10th, 2011 - 12:45 am ICT by IANS
Tiruchirapalli (Tamil Nadu), Oct 9 (IANS) Several Indian and Russian companies are working to develop components for the proposed hypersonic variant of Brahmos stealth missile, said a top defence official Sunday.
The missile will travel at Mach 7 - seven times the speed of sound.
“A new engine has to be developed alongwith electronics and other subsystems that can withstand the vibrations. Several Indian and Russian companies are working on the design and development of the components and subsystems,” A.Sivathanu Pillai, CEO and MD, BrahMos Aerospace said here.
He said the Bangalore based Indian Institute of Science and Moscow Aviation Institute are researching on the development of components for the hypersonic missile.
BrahMos, a supersonic two stage/engine stealth missile, is a joint venture between India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation and Russia’s NPO Mashinostroeyenia.
- BrahMos Aerospace to make cryogenic engines for Indian rockets - Jan 30, 2011
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon - Mar 31, 2012
- India-Russia JV to fund hypersonic missile project - Aug 17, 2011
- Successful trial of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile - Aug 12, 2011
- 40 Indian fighter jets to be fitted with BrahMos missiles - Apr 22, 2010
- BrahMos missile likely to be inducted in IAF by 2013 - Aug 25, 2010
- Indian Army inducts second cruise missile unit close to Pakistan border - Mar 04, 2012
- Russia to build hypersonic missile - Sep 20, 2012
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version to begin this year: Russian official - Jun 12, 2011
- New version of BrahMos missile tested - Mar 28, 2012
- India successfully tests BrahMos (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- IAF could soon get supersonic BrahMos missile - Oct 24, 2010
Tags: aerospace, bangalore, brahmos, ceo, defence research, development organisation, indian institute of science, joint venture, mach 7, missile, moscow aviation institute, npo, research and development, russian companies, seven times, speed of sound, stage engine, stealth, subsystems, tamil nadu