Women’s shopping skills date back to Neanderthal days!February 26th, 2009 - 3:34 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 26 (ANI): You might hate escorting your wife to the supermarket, courtesy her “bargaining antics” in the sales, but here’s something you ought to know: a woman’s love of shopping is a throwback to the days of cave women.
That’s the conclusion of a new study, which found that shoppers use instincts they learnt from their Neanderthal ancestors.
According to Dr David Holmes, of Manchester Metropolitan University, skills that were learnt as cavemen and women were now being used in shops.
“Gatherers sifted the useful from things that offered them no sustenance, warmth or comfort with a skill that would eventually lead to comfortable shopping malls and credit cards,” The Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
“In our evolutionary past, we gathered in caves with fires at the entrance.
“We repeat this in warm shopping centres where we can flit from store to store without braving the icy winds,” he added.
The Daily Express has reported that the groundbreaking research was commissioned by Manchester Arndale shopping centre. (ANI)
- British boy abducted from mall, raped - Aug 22, 2012
- Brit supermarket worker sacked for drinking Lady Grey instead of store brand - Mar 29, 2011
- Neanderthals' cosy bedroom with hearth and grass beds unearthed - Aug 07, 2010
- Eight people hurt in Salford Tesco fridge explosion - Dec 13, 2010
- German Supermarket scores with its nudist gimmick - Jun 18, 2012
- Orangutans are smart designers: Study - Apr 18, 2012
- Cigarette displays to be banned in England - Mar 10, 2011
- US Justice Department puts Pak-origin terror suspect on its wanted list - Dec 16, 2010
- Fossils show mysterious human species lived 30,000 years ago - Dec 23, 2010
- Video Footage Of "Forced Shopping" In Hong Kong Angers China - Jul 20, 2010
- Terror raid witness says he saw men filming terror target - Apr 11, 2009
- Did Neanderthals use feathers to deck themselves up? - Feb 22, 2011
- Neanderthals lived in houses, not caves - Dec 20, 2011
- 100,000-yr-old fossilized teeth of cavemen found in Central China - Nov 27, 2010
- Genome study shows there's a Neanderthal in all of us - May 07, 2010
Tags: antics, arndale shopping centre, cavemen, caves, credit cards, daily express, david holmes, dr david, gatherers, groundbreaking research, instincts, london feb, manchester arndale, manchester metropolitan university, neanderthal ancestors, shopping centres, shopping malls, sustenance, throwback, warmth