When does music produce noise-like effect?November 17th, 2008 - 4:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 17 (IANS) “Music is always noise-related and often not appreciated,” German poet and humorist Wilhelm Busch noted wryly.Busch’s sarcastic saying embodies a bitter truth: Orchestra musicians jeopardise their ears with their own music. For instance, in a Wagner opera, sound values of 120 decibels (dB) and higher can be attained.
Even the average sound level, depending on the repertoire and instrument, often takes on a magnitude that is considered hazardous to health.
Nevertheless, the EU Noise Directive, also in effect for German orchestras since Feb 15, has been implemented too rarely in practice; there is a lack of effective noise-protection measures.
Therefore, the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) has developed a noise protection shield. It can in the critical range above 250 Hertz lower the sound level at the ear of the musician by up to 20 dB, according to a PTB release.
The noise protection shield can be reconstructed with little time and effort. In early testing, this has already been accomplished, with extremely positive feedback.
- Superfast MRAM with low power consumption on the anvil - Mar 09, 2011
- Smokers 'more likely to be impulsive, indecisive' - Oct 29, 2010
- Soon, a portable optical atomic clock - Sep 04, 2009
- New technique makes atomic fountains clocks more stable - Mar 19, 2009
- 'Sound levels in ICUs exceed WHO limits' - Sep 18, 2012
- Old theory could help in noise protection - Dec 04, 2011
- Mobile phones radiations can distort results of tested measuring systems - Sep 18, 2008
- Convertible drivers 'at noise-induced hearing loss risk' - Oct 07, 2009
- Popular toys could damage hearing of children - Dec 19, 2011
- Elephants can sing, says study - Aug 03, 2012
- Russia to spend $280 mn on new planes for Kremlin - Jan 20, 2012
- Now, a bionic speech enhancement system to cut unwanted 'white noise' - Sep 10, 2010
- Workplace noise-related hearing loss may affect quality of sleep - Jan 26, 2011
- Beatboxing to make professional musical debut in India - Jan 05, 2012
- Listening to iPod at full volume can damage hearing - Jun 15, 2012