Website with ‘largest digitization work’ launched at AMUApril 30th, 2010 - 4:37 pm ICT by IANS
Aligarh, April 30 (IANS) A website on an Islamic reformer, claimed to be the largest digitization work dedicated to any person or institution in the country, was launched Friday by Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) vice-chancellor P.K. Abdul Azis, an official said.
“The website, www.sirsyedtoday.org, has been designed by AMU alumnus Masarrat Ali, who has claimed it is the largest digitization work on any individual or institution in India,” AMU official spokesperson Rahat Abrar told reporters here.
“The website has more than 110,000 pages of historical documents related to Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, founder of AMU, and history of the varsity,” he added.
The website was launched at the central hall of Maulana Azad Library of AMU. Aligarh is about 300 km from Lucknow.
Ali, who has designed the website, joined AMU in 1971 and received a gold medal in M.Sc. (Biochemistry) in 1977.
He is the first Indian Muslim who was nominated as an official candidate of US President Barack Obama’s Democratic Party to run for the House of Representatives elections in Texas, a statement issued by the varsity said.
According to Ali, the purpose of the website was to revive the Aligarh Movement. It is his humble tribute to the founder of his alma mater, the statement added.
- Shah Rukh Khan to visit Aligarh Muslim University - Jan 19, 2010
- AMU seeks help against radioactive source - Jul 05, 2010
- AMU to have 250-acre branch in Bihar - Nov 14, 2009
- AMU founder's 113th death anniversary observed - Mar 27, 2011
- AMU restores Hyderabad as centre for MBBS exam - Apr 30, 2010
- AMU to start religious counselling for students - Mar 29, 2010
- Plea against Aligarh Muslim University centres dismissed - Oct 08, 2010
- Bihar transfers land for AMU centre - Dec 30, 2011
- Rs.3 crore to Aligarh university for hockey turf - Oct 13, 2010
- Aligarh university shuts in the wake of violence - Oct 30, 2009
- Rs.3.90 cr for Aligarh university hocky-turf (Lead) - Oct 13, 2010
- Bangladesh seeks synergy with Aligarh Muslim university (With Image) - Mar 13, 2011
- AMU, Jamia born with minority character: Salman Khurshid - Mar 12, 2011
- AMU committee to identify courses for new campuses - Oct 07, 2009
- AMU elects its first woman in teachers association - May 01, 2012
Tags: aligarh movement, aligarh muslim university, alma mater, alumnus, amu aligarh, barack obama, biochemistry, democratic party, digitization, gold medal, historical documents, humble tribute, indian muslim, lucknow, reformer, sir syed ahmad khan, spokesperson, syed ahmad khan, varsity, vice chancellor