We are alone, aliens unlikely in the universe, says expertJanuary 24th, 2011 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 24 (IANS) There are probably no aliens out there - meaning we are entirely alone in the universe, said an astronomer.
Even though there may many earth like planets, their existing conditions are likely to be too hostile to support life-forms such as extra terrestrials (ET), according to him.
Howard Smith, senior astrophysicist at Harvard University, believes there is very little hope of discovering aliens and, even if we did, it would be almost impossible to make contact.
So far astronomers have discovered a total of 500 planets in distant solar systems - known as extrasolar systems - although they believe billions of others exist, the Daily Mail reported.
But Smith pointed out that many of these planets are either too close to their sun or too far away, meaning their surface temperatures are too extreme to support life.
Others have unusual orbits which cause vast temperature variations, making it impossible for water to exist as a liquid - an essential element for life.
Smith said: “We have found that most other planets and solar systems are wildly different from our own. They are very hostile to life as we know it.”
“The new information we are getting suggests we could effectively be alone in the universe. There are very few solar systems or planets like ours. It means it is highly unlikely there are any planets with intelligent life close enough for us to make contact.”
But his controversial suggestions contradict other leading scientists - who have claimed aliens almost certainly exist.
Only last month Professor Stephen Hawking said the fact that there are billions of galaxies out there made it perfectly rational to assume there were other life-forms in the universe.
- Chances of finding ET are unlikely, says astronomer - Jan 24, 2011
- Scientists discover first Earth-Size planets outside the Milky Way - Dec 21, 2011
- Alien Life could be discovered within the next 40 years - Sep 07, 2012
- NASA discovery suggests aliens exist - even on Earth - Dec 02, 2010
- Alien Solar System With Most Planets Discovered - Aug 25, 2010
- Alien encounter may not be happy one: Nobel laureate - Aug 27, 2012
- Erratic orbits of neighbouring planets may make life sustenance difficult - May 25, 2010
- Earth-sized planets found beyond solar system - Dec 21, 2011
- Billions of life bearing planets float in the milky way - May 14, 2012
- Could city lights help locate alien civilisations? - Nov 04, 2011
- Web users locate two new potential planets - Sep 22, 2011
- 10 percent of solar systems are like ours - Jan 06, 2010
- Just 15 percent of solar systems like ours in Milky Way, say astronomers - Jan 06, 2010
- First ever proof of star devouring planet - Aug 21, 2012
- Astronomers stumble on massive black holes - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,