Watch out for Lulin comet closest to earth TuesdayFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 23 (IANS) Skygazers are all set to watch out a night spectacle Tuesday as comet Lulin approaches closest to the earth and will be visible to naked eyes.
The comet Lulin has been brightening steadily in the last few weeks and is now visible to naked eye in an atmosphere free of air or light pollution.
“The comet is at its closest approach to the Earth, and is expected to be a naked-eye visible object. If the weather is clear, and there is no haze in the sky, one should be able to locate the comet,” said Nehru Planetarium director N. Rathnasree.
However, some optical aid like a pair of binoculars or a moderate telescope might be needed to view the comet from the light polluted areas of cities like Delhi, said Rathnasree.
The Nehru Planetarium is organising a public viewing in coordination with Science Popularisation Association of Communicators and Educators (SPACE) at Teen Murti House for people to watch the comet Tuesday evening.
“Locating the comet on Tuesday would be a little easier, as it is situated very close to the planet Saturn and can be seen in the evening skies sometime after sunset,” said Rathnasree.
The comet was discovered in July 2007 - jointly by Quanzhi Ye from China and Chi-Sheng Lin from Taiwan, from images obtained at the Lu-lin Observatory in Taiwan.
- Nehru Planetarium in Delhi to open Friday - Sep 29, 2010
- Comet Hartley 2 Set To Pass Close By Earth - Oct 20, 2010
- Comet Hartley 2 Will Be Visible From The Northern Horizon - Oct 20, 2010
- Meteor shower to sparkle sky Thursday - Aug 11, 2010
- Treat for sky gazers, comet closest to Earth Tuesday - Jun 14, 2010
- One of universe's biggest, brightest comets to paint skies green this week - Jun 16, 2010
- Orionid meteor shower to light up night sky Wednesday - Oct 20, 2009
- Mars to be closest, brightest Jan 27 - Jan 25, 2010
- Comet McNaught closest to Earth next week - Jun 11, 2010
- Elusive green comet Hartley 2 will be visible today - Oct 20, 2010
- Earth set to have a close encounter with Comet Hartley 2 - Oct 04, 2010
- Treat your eyes to a green comet on February 24! - Feb 21, 2009
- Delhi gears up to watch century's last Venus transit - Jun 05, 2012
- Tonight, watch a green comet whizz by! - Feb 24, 2009
- Earth will see bigger, brighter Moon Saturday - Mar 19, 2011
Tags: binoculars, comet, communicators, evening skies, haze, light pollution, naked eye, naked eyes, nehru planetarium, New Delhi, observatory, optical aid, planet saturn, planetarium director, polluted areas, public viewing, science popularisation, sky one, tuesday evening, visible object