Voyager Spacecraft is Near Solar System’s EdgeDecember 15th, 2010 - 12:04 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Dec 14 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Voyager 1 Spacecraft, a long time part of the NASA space program is rushing toward the edge of our solar system. On Monday, NASA announced that recent reading indicate that the average outward speed of the solar wind is now at almost zero, and this means that the Voyager is much closer to the edge of the solar system, which is known as the heliopause.
The unmanned space probe has been in explorations of the region of space where the solar wind slows and crashes into the thin gas layers which is between the stars. The solar wind is a stream of particles which are charged, come spewing out of the sun at one million miles an hour.
Since the Voyager’s readings show that the solar winds have slowed, Edward Stone of the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory states that this means that the heliopause is not too far ahead. Before getting to excited by this news, one must realise that scientists still estimate it will take at least four more years before the Voyager probe will completely leave the solar system and make it into interstellar space.
This is the first milestone since June, when the scientists noticed that the speeds of the solar winds had began to match that of the spacecraft. They measured for several months just to be sure it was not just a variation of wind gusts, bu there were no changes. The Voyager 1 first took flight in 1977, and is now about 10.8 billion miles from the sun.
- Voyager 1 edges closer to solar system - Dec 15, 2010
- NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft nearing edge of Solar System - Dec 14, 2010
- Voyager 1 Moving Into Interstellar Space Gradually - Dec 14, 2010
- NASA's Voyager spacecraft to soon enter interstellar space - Apr 29, 2011
- NASA launches 2.7 bn-km voyage to Jupiter - Aug 06, 2011
- Galactic magnetic fields may control boundaries of our solar system - Oct 17, 2009
- Voyager 1 is very near the edge to the solar system - Dec 14, 2010
- Mysterious object seen refuelling from sun - Mar 14, 2012
- NASA's IBEX spacecraft reveals space as never seen before - Aug 17, 2010
- NASA eyes unprecedented mission to unlock Sun's biggest mysteries - Sep 03, 2010
- Scientist wins solar probe instrument award, place on solar mission - Oct 01, 2010
- Have aliens taken over Voyager 2 spacecraft? - May 13, 2010
- NASA to explore earth's radiation belts - Aug 24, 2012
- NASA craft prepares for Valentine's Day date with comet - Jan 20, 2011
- NASA launches Jupiter probe - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: closer to the edge, first milestone, four more years, gas layers, heliopause, interstellar space, jet propulsion laboratory, nasa jet propulsion, nasa jet propulsion laboratory, nasa space program, one million miles, solar wind, solar winds, space probe, thin gas, unmanned space, voyager 1 spacecraft, voyager probe, voyager spacecraft, wind gusts