Voyager 1 Moving Into Interstellar Space GraduallyDecember 14th, 2010 - 8:24 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Dec 14, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Voyager 1 Spacecraft made by NASA is slowly moving out of the solar system as scientists have measured. The unmanned spacecraft will take 4 more years to exit the solar system completely and venture into outer space. In June this year the NASA scientists had discovered that the space craft reached the speed of solar winds. The NASA team knew it would take place and they were waiting for the time. The updates of the space craft will be unveiled on Tuesday at San Francisco’s American Geophysical Union meeting as it has been reported.
The Voyager 1 was launched into space way back in 1977 along with Voyager 2 its twin. The two space crafts explored the solar system along with planets. They were programmed to go into different directions. Voyager 1 moved to the north while its twin Voyager 2 headed towards south. The Voyager 1 is now cruising along at a mammoth speed of 38,000 mph. It is almost 10.8 billion miles away from the sun. Its sibling Voyager 2 is now moving at a speed of 35,000 mph. It is expected that the speed of Voyager 1 will diminish as it steps into interstellar space. This is going to happen because the atmosphere in the interstellar space is drastically different from that of the solar system.
Voyager 1 was launched when Jimmy carter was the president of USA. It was the brainchild of the U.S. National Space and Aeronautics Administration. The radio signals sent by the space craft Voyager 1 take 16 hours to reach the Earth now and with time this time gap is going to increase, as it moves further away.
- Voyager 1 edges closer to solar system - Dec 15, 2010
- NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft nearing edge of Solar System - Dec 14, 2010
- Voyager 1 is very near the edge to the solar system - Dec 14, 2010
- Voyager Spacecraft is Near Solar System's Edge - Dec 15, 2010
- NASA's Voyager spacecraft to soon enter interstellar space - Apr 29, 2011
- NASA launches Jupiter probe - Aug 05, 2011
- NASA launches 2.7 bn-km voyage to Jupiter - Aug 06, 2011
- Have aliens taken over Voyager 2 spacecraft? - May 13, 2010
- Space probe reaches asteroid after four-year journey - Jul 18, 2011
- NASA to explore earth's radiation belts - Aug 24, 2012
- NASA craft prepares for Valentine's Day date with comet - Jan 20, 2011
- Woman astronaut to head 100-year Starship project - Jan 09, 2012
- Poisonous chemical formaldehyde linked to origin of life on Earth - Apr 05, 2011
- Solar Sail spacecraft can travel ten times faster than conventional rockets - May 18, 2010
- 'Solar tsunami' offers new clues about sun - Dec 15, 2010
Tags: american geophysical union, american geophysical union meeting, brainchild, interstellar space, jimmy carter, nasa, nasa scientists, nasa team, national space, outer space, president of usa, sibling, solar system, solar winds, space craft, space crafts, time gap, unmanned spacecraft, voyager 1 spacecraft, voyager 2