Vitamin B3 emerges as best way to manage cholesterolApril 10th, 2009 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 10 (IANS) Scientists are likely to revive niacin as one of the best and cheapest ways to manage cholesterol, minus its side-effects, thanks to deft detective work by researchers.
Niacin, also known as nicotinic acid or vitamin B3, has long been regarded as one of the most effective weapons in managing cholesterol, lowering levels of triglycerides, fatty acids and to a lesser extent, the ‘bad’ cholesterol (LDL) while boosting ‘good’ cholesterol (HDL).
But there’s a big side-effect. Patients avoid niacin because it often causes embarrassing, uncontrollable intense flushing, a rush of blood to the face and other skin surfaces accompanied by a prickling sensation.
Now, however, scientists have identified the discrete molecular pathways that are triggered when niacin enters the body. Their discovery may lead to a revival of niacin-based treatments as therapies of choice.
“This opens up whole new realms for drug discovery,” said Robert Walters, dermatologist at Duke University Medical Centre (DUMC) and lead study author.
“Not only could it lead to new niacin-based therapies for cholesterol that patients could actually stick with, but it could also mean new treatments for flushing that comes with some types of allergic reactions, hives and other disorders,” said Walters, according to a DUMC release.
The study was funded by the National Institute of Health and Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
- Soy beats milk in cholesterol lowering: Study - Jan 19, 2011
- Two therapies that may slow diabetic eye disease progression found - Jul 24, 2010
- Novel drug reduces bad cholesterol without statin side effects - Mar 11, 2010
- 'Good' cholesterol is not always good for health - May 26, 2010
- New cell therapy shows promise against atherosclerosis - Mar 02, 2011
- Diabetes or lipid-lowering medications may help treat addiction - Apr 06, 2011
- New discovery may lead to better cholesterol drugs - Oct 06, 2010
- Reducing intake of niacin can prevent obesity - May 21, 2010
- Statin can prevent strokes, besides lowering lipids - Jan 05, 2012
- Routine periodic fasting good for health, heart - Apr 04, 2011
- Eat nuts to improve cholesterol levels - May 11, 2010
- Eat nuts to bring down cholesterol levels - May 11, 2010
- Bariatric surgery cuts long-term cardiovascular risk in diabetics - Mar 31, 2011
- Vitamin B3 may help in treatment of stroke - Feb 25, 2010
- Cholesterol levels in young adults predict future heart disease risk - Aug 03, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,