Virgin Tests its Spacecraft for the First TimeMarch 24th, 2010 - 9:16 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
March 24, 2010, (Pen Men at Work): Virgin tested its pioneer project, the space flight experience for civilians, for the first time recently. Richard Branson’s dream project, making it possible for non-astronauts to experience space, has finally found wings. The VSS Enterprise took to the clouds attached to the ‘mothership’ White Knight Two.
The flight has been dubbed as a smashing success and plans for future test flights are quickly being drawn up. The flight lasted nearly three hours over the Mojave Desert, California. This is a path-breaking success story for what began as just a dream. Well, this dream sure does have huge economical potential for Richard Branson, and for those who dream of sub-orbital flight will have to fork out a reported sum of around $200,000.
The ‘mothership’ resembles a flying catamaran and will hold the rocket ship VSS Enterprise between the two fuselages. The ‘mothership’, christened the White Knight Two, will launch the spacecraft at 50,000 ft. The spacecraft will then boost itself to over 65 miles over sea level, right to the brink of space. The ‘space travelers’ will enjoy around five minutes of weightlessness.
According to reports, the test flights were to begin in 2011, and this early 2010 test flight indicates that the project is advancing better than expected. This pioneer endeavour will cost Vigin Galactic $450 million, which will be spent on research and construction of six commercial spacecrafts.
Richard Branson, on this landmark occasion said, “Watching the VSS Enterprise for the first time really brings home the point what beautiful, ground-breaking vehicles Burt and his team have developed for us. Today is a testament to US engineering and innovation.” The tests will continue through 2011 and commercial flights are targeted for 2012.
- Virgin Spacecraft's Test Flight A Complete Success - Mar 24, 2010
- Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo takes maiden flight - Mar 23, 2010
- Virgin Galactic's spaceship makes first solo test flight - Oct 11, 2010
- Virgin Galactic's Spaceship Successfully Completes Its First Flight - Oct 11, 2010
- Runway at world's first commercial spaceport ready - Oct 23, 2010
- World's Virgin Commercial Spacecraft Test Flight A Big Success - Mar 24, 2010
- Richard Branson unveils first commercial spaceship - Dec 08, 2009
- Soon, Sir Richard Branson's space tourism reality show - Jan 18, 2010
- Virgin Galactic Makes First Test Space Flight - Oct 12, 2010
- Virgin Galactic Space Ship Two Completes Its Manned Flight Successfully - Oct 12, 2010
- Virgin Galactic space ship makes its first solo test flight - Oct 12, 2010
- Microsoft co-founder announces space-travel venture - Dec 14, 2011
- Virgin space tourists could be launched by 2015 - Jun 14, 2010
- Kutcher heads to space - Mar 21, 2012
- Virgin Galactic 'hiring world's first pilot-astronauts for private spacecrafts' - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: commercial flights, dream project, experience space, flight experience, landmark occasion, mojave desert, mothership, orbital flight, pen men, pioneer project, richard branson, rocket ship, smashing success, space travelers, spacecrafts, test flights, time march, vss enterprise, weightlessness, white knight