Veteran astronauts Gorie and Olivas leave NASAMay 27th, 2010 - 4:15 am ICT by BNO News
HOUSTON, TEXAS (BNO NEWS) – NASA announced Wednesday that veteran astronauts Dominic Gorie and John “Danny” Olivas are leaving NASA.
Gorie, a retired U.S. Navy captain, is a veteran of four space shuttle flights, having traveled more than 18 million miles in space during his missions, serving as pilot and commander. Gorie served as pilot on shuttle mission STS-91 in 1998 and STS-99 in 2000. He also served as commander on STS-108 in 2001 and STS-123 in 2008.
“Dom is a superlative leader of people who consistently treats others with respect and professionalism,” said Peggy Whitson, chief of the Astronaut Office at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston. “We will sincerely regret the loss of his candor, humor and professionalism.”
Olivas has flown on two shuttle flights and has accumulated more than 668 hours in space, serving as a mission specialist on STS-117 in 2007 and on STS-128 in 2009. He also conducted five spacewalks, and accumulated more than 34 hours of extravehicular time in space.
“Danny’s expertise in spacewalking and materials engineering will be sorely missed with his departure,” Whitson said.
Olivas’ last day with the agency was Tuesday, May 25 and Gorie’s is June 4.
- Sunita Williams sets a record with sixth spacewalk (Second lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 06, 2012
- Shot US congresswoman Giffords' husband Kelly to lead last Endeavour shuttle mission - Feb 05, 2011
- Astronaut Mark Kelly to resume NASA mission training - Feb 05, 2011
- Shuttle Discovery back to Earth post 13-day final mission - Mar 10, 2011
- North Carolina astronaut to board NASA's next space shuttle flight - Apr 28, 2010
- NASA sets launch date for space shuttle Discovery mission - Feb 24 - Feb 19, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Space shuttle Discovery lands on Earth after final mission - Mar 10, 2011
- Shuttle Atlantis returns safely to end its last mission - May 26, 2010
- Shuttle Discovery heads to International Space Station on its final mission - Feb 25, 2011
- NASA final shuttle launch scheduled for July 8 - May 21, 2011
- Atlantis' landing ends final mission after 30 years of space shuttle era - Jul 21, 2011
- President Obama to meet NASA's Endeavour crew - Apr 23, 2010
- NASA space shuttle Discovery returns safely - Apr 20, 2010
- NASA sets space shuttle Endeavour's final launch for April 29 - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: astronaut office, astronauts, bno, candor, dominic gorie, john danny olivas, johnson space center, materials engineering, million miles, mission specialist, nasa, nasa houston, navy captain, professionalism, shuttle mission sts, space shuttle flights, spacewalks, sts 117, sts 99, u s navy