Vandenberg Launches Mammoth Sized Delta IV RocketJanuary 21st, 2011 - 8:40 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Jan 21, (THAINDIAN NEWS) California witnessed the most awaited and the biggest rocket launch ever at the Vandenberg Air Force Base of Santa Barbara County. The rocket, namely Delta IV Heavy Launch Vehicle is 235-foot-tall, which is equal to the height of a 23 story building. The first blast took place at 1:10 p.m Pacific Time.
After the first blast off at 1:10 p.m PT yesterday, United Launch Alliance spokesman told a reputed source that it was the smoothest launch of the largest rocket that could have been possible. However, they delayed the blast off, two minutes after the scheduled time, as they did not want any object in space to create a friction on its path. This rocket was designed by United Launch Alliance, in collaboration with Lockheed Martin Corp. and Boeing Co. The three well equipped engines of the rocket were created by Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne. According to the sources, this mammoth sized rocket is meant to carry top secret spy satellites for National Reconaissance Office, the pioneer organization in USA that operates spy satellites, to provide secret information to CIA and department of defense. This is not the first time that a Delta IV was launched in the western Coast, however, most of them were launched in Florida, which were of smaller size.
Before the Delta IV Heavy Launch Vehicle blasted off at the Vandenberg Air Force Base, Lt. Ann K. Blodzinski said that it is indeed going to be a big one. Even if one does not see it, they would be able to feel it. While the launch of this gigantic space craft was rigorously felt in the region of Santa Barbara County. Mayor John Linn said that launching of space crafts are not unknown in this region, but this time it was different. According to him, everyone were at their front-yards to witness the debut of this biggest space craft.
- US launches spy satellite - Apr 04, 2012
- U.S. launches largest-ever spy satellite into space - Nov 23, 2010
- US Air Force launches 'secret' spy satellite into space - Mar 12, 2011
- World's most powerful rocket to blast off in 2013 - Apr 06, 2011
- Russia launches US communications satellite - Oct 20, 2011
- Indian rocket carrying two satellites blasts off - Sep 09, 2012
- Indian rocket engine test successful - May 13, 2012
- Manmohan watches as 100th Indian space mission blasts off (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- Top secret US spy plane back after long sojourn - Dec 05, 2010
- Countdown begins for India's 100th space mission - Sep 08, 2012
- Russia launches cluster of four satellites - Jul 28, 2012
- NASA launches probes to measure lunar gravity - Sep 11, 2011
- Signal received from missing Indonesian satellite - Aug 13, 2012
- Count down for 100th Indian rocket launch begins Friday morning - Sep 06, 2012
- Countdown begins for 100th Indian rocket mission - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: boeing co, county mayor, delta iv heavy launch, delta iv rocket, john linn, launch vehicle, lockheed martin, lockheed martin corp, meena, national reconaissance office, pioneer organization, rocket launch, rocketdyne, santa barbara county, secret spy, space craft, space crafts, spy satellites, vandenberg air force, vandenberg air force base