US online spending upMay 10th, 2012 - 1:48 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 10 (IANS) US online retail spending reached $44.3 billion in the first three months of this year, with help from shoppers using tablet computers to buy clothing and other items, industry tracker comScore reported.
The top-performing online product categories included digital content and subscriptions, computer software, consumer electronics, jewellery, watches and event tickets.
Each category grew at least 17 percent versus year ago, reported Xinhua.
About 48.8 percent of e-commerce transactions included free shipping, the highest percentage for a quarter on record outside of the holiday season.
The online retail survey indicated Wednesday that 38 percent of US tablet computer owners have used the devices to shop online within the past month. Apparel was the most popular category for purchase among tablet shoppers.
“The first quarter of this year was especially strong for retail e-commerce as we returned to year-over-year growth rates in the high teens, numbers we haven’t seen since 2007,” said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni.
“While the economic recovery continues to be painfully slow, the channel shift to e-commerce appears to be accelerating.”
- U.S. online sales reach almost $50 billion in fourth quarter - Feb 07, 2012
- 'India has world's youngest internet population' - Feb 24, 2012
- China's e-commerce giant hives off reward points service - Dec 20, 2011
- E-commerce to make even bigger gains - Mar 28, 2012
- China's online retailers declare cut-throat price war - Aug 16, 2012
- HomeShop18 acquires book retailer Coinjoos - Aug 04, 2011
- US shoppers spend record $52.4 bn on Thanksgiving weekend - Nov 29, 2011
- Myntra aims to offer 1,000 brands online - Jun 07, 2012
- Specialised online stores hottest e-commerce start-ups: Survey - Jan 30, 2011
- E-commerce sites cash in on leap year - Feb 28, 2012
- Delhi most active in e-commerce: eBay - Dec 08, 2010
- China's e-commerce turnover up 22 percent in 2010 - Jan 19, 2011
- Bhupathi goes online to sell sports merchandise - May 25, 2012
- Amazon sells over 4 mn Kindle devices in December - Dec 30, 2011
- Men buy more grocery online than women, shows study - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: channel shift, commerce transactions, computer owners, computer software, consumer electronics, digital content, economic recovery, first quarter, first three months, free shipping, fulgoni, holiday season, product categories, retail spending, shoppers, software consumer, tablet computer, tablet computers, watches, xinhua