UP to provide broadband service to all panchayatsJuly 31st, 2012 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 31 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh government Tuesday decided to go ahead with the National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN) project under which all village panchayats (councils) in the state would be linked with broadband connectivity.
The state cabinet at a meeting presided over by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav decided that services like mobile cash transfer, voice, data and video transmission would be provided in the villages.
The Department of Telecommunications had last year approved the Rs.20,000-crore NOFN to provide broadband connectivity to 2.5 lakh panchayats across the country to enable the government implement various e-governance initiatives.
The state cabinet also decided to keep the Lokayukta out of the purview of the Right To Information (RTI) Act, 2005.
It decided to re-implement the Kanya Vidya Dhan scheme that was started by the previous Samajwadi Party (SP) government led by Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Under the scheme, girl students passing the high school exams were given cheques worth Rs.20,000. The Akhilesh Yadav government has now increased the financial assistance from Rs.20,000 to Rs.25,000.
The beneficiaries of the scheme would be Dalits, Other Backward Castes, religious minorities and the poor from the upper castes.
The cabinet also changed the name of the Manyavar Kanshiram Arabic-Persian University to Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti Arabic-Persian university.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Fibre optical scheme for panchayats approved - Oct 25, 2011
- National Optical Fiber network to be set up: Sibal - Jul 22, 2011
- UP cabinet revokes facilities to key Mayawati aide - Apr 27, 2012
- Faster development when India fully literate: Ansari - Sep 09, 2012
- Panel formed to implement national optic fibre network - Jun 26, 2012
- Unemployment allowance to be given from September: Akhilesh - Aug 14, 2012
- Key cabinet decisions of 2011 (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Telecom links in all Indian villages by 2014: BSNL - Mar 25, 2012
- Congress to monitor Akhilesh government (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Bengal to compensate victims of crimes against women - Sep 07, 2012
- Mayawati plays yet another Muslim card - Nov 30, 2011
- No new taxes in Akhilesh's maiden UP budget - Jun 01, 2012
- 'Congress to monitor Akhilesh government's performance' - Apr 06, 2012
- Internet penetration can help raise GDP: Report - Jan 19, 2012
- UP government races to restore Mayawati statue - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: akhilesh yadav, asian news, broadband connectivity, chief minister, e governance, girl students, kanya, mulayam singh, optical fibre network, purview, religious minorities, Samajwadi Party, srj, state cabinet, upper castes, uttar pradesh government, video transmission, village panchayats, voice data, worth rs